Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

michael163
Helper II
Helper II

Export of data from certain tables or visuals to excel without being able to download pbix

Hi, I need one of our users to be able to export the data from selected visuals to the excel but he must not be able to download the pbix file. How can I set this up? I searched everywhere but cant seem to get this running. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @michael163 ,

After my test, as long as you share the report with others, the one who receives it cannot download it, but he can export the data from the view.

3.png

Or you can add them to the workspace and let them view reports from the workspace. Set them as Viewer, they can only export data, but not download reports.

4.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @michael163 ,

My understanding is that you want to export data as follows.

result108542.gif

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-stephen-msft exactly! Can you please help with how to do this with pro version if possible?

Hi @michael163 ,

If you have permissions to the data, you can see and export the data that Power BI uses to create a visualization.

Click on the three points on the visual, and then the Export data option will appear.

1.png

2.png

Reference: Export the data that was used to create a visualization

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

@v-stephen-msft How do I set up the permission to the data in a way that the user can download them without ability to download the pbix, Because right now I have it set up in a way that there is no export to excel option. Thank you.

Hi @michael163 ,

After my test, as long as you share the report with others, the one who receives it cannot download it, but he can export the data from the view.

3.png

Or you can add them to the workspace and let them view reports from the workspace. Set them as Viewer, they can only export data, but not download reports.

4.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

I don't know what I was doing wrong but when I did it all over again with the procedure you showed me it started to work the way I wanted to. Thanks! @v-stephen-msft 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@michael163 
if you have a premium workspace then you can update the apps and provide user the app access.... he will not be able to download the .pbix....

So youre saying this is not possible with the PRO version?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@michael163  

If you workspace is built under premium capacity it will have a diamond symbol like the below

workspace.PNG

Once you have published the report to workspace ...Top side side you will have an option to create an app

updateapp.PNG

Give the users only app access ....where in he will only have read access and will not be able to download the pbix 

What do you mean by premium workspace/capacity? Are you talking about swichting to the higher tier account from PRO to the premium? Because I dont want to pay 4k/month instead of 10usd just for for this...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@michael163 would like to ask you if youa are publishing pbix to worspace or not?

If yes then you might find a share option try to share report from there and user will not be able to download the pbix

sharereport.png

With Premium, anyone, whether they're inside or outside your organization can view your Power BI content including paginated and interactive reports without purchasing individual licenses. Premium enables widespread distribution of content by Pro users without requiring Pro licenses for recipients who view the content

Yes, I published it to service.

Yes, I shared it with the user from our tenant and he is able to see the report without being able to download the pbix.
What I need is that he will be able to export data from visuals to excel.

If by using a premium you mean this https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/ then I am currently not interested in spending 5k USD/ month just for this feature. So are you saying that there is no other way and with the Pro version this is not possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@michael163 Yes the user must be able to anlayse the report in excel if the power bi admin has enabled this features and coming to Premium License for workspace--> here you are licensing the capacity for your content rather than licensing all users of that content(dashboard,dataset,report)....suppose if crowd is huge like 50,000 users ....If they are  using your power bi report then you will have to spend for their pro license as well ...Instead of this you can opt for Premium capacity workspace with which 'N' number of users can view your report without purchasing the pro license....However premium is only considered if the crowd is huge...I hope you have understood now...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors