Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ShrutiJ
Helper II
Helper II

Export functionality exports less rows in excel

I have a report with table visual which has ~80K records and published in a workspace. When I export the data of this visual, it exports ~28K records only although the limit is 150K. When I remove few columns and export the data agin, the number of records in the excel increases.

Is there a limitation on the number of columns while exporting or any limitation on the file size?

6 REPLIES 6
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @ShrutiJ 

According to your description, you said that “it exports ~28K records only although the limit is 150K.” But I found that the limitation is around 30K in the document, you can check this:

• The maximum number of rows that Power BI Desktop and Power BI service can export from an import mode report to a .csv file is 30,000.

Link of the limitations

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-robertq-msft ,

I'm exporting it in an excel. Hence, expecting to have a limitation of 150K.

• "The maximum number of rows that the applications can export from an import mode report to an .xlsx file is 150,000."

As I mentioned, on reducing the number of columns the records increased, I could go upto 40K. 

Not sure if there is some limitation here on the number of columns also. Need help to understand this.

Hi, @ShrutiJ 

Can the Excel specifications and limits document shared by aj1973 help you to find the true reason that limited you?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @ShrutiJ 

Here are the limitations cited in this link

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-export-data

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Hi @aj1973 

The only limitation mentione din the link if of the number of rows. In my case, when I reduce the columns, the rows increases even though the total number of rows are less that the mentioned limit.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @ShrutiJ 

I am afraid to tell you that limitations for an excel sheet is not only the number of rows. The 150K rows is the maximum that Power Bi can export, the rest can be found here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/excel-specifications-and-limits-1672b34d-7043-467e-8e27-2...

So I am guessing that your report is facing one of the limitation mentioned in the site and you will need to find out! Note that the Excel version that you are using can also apply some limitations.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors