Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dobregon
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Export data vs Analyse in excel

Hi guys,

I'm trying to understand some tenants options and i have doubts about both options.

export data --> In the definition of the option "Users in the organization can export data from a tile or visualization. This also controls Analyze in Excel, export to .csv, dataset downloads, and Power BI Service Live Connect features." it talks about this controls analyse in Excel

But you have the other option analyse in excel. What need to be enabled? both? only analyse in excel option?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dobregon ,

It is better to include every people in both (export data and analize in excel) ,because some unknown effects of the shared workbook have not been found.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dobregon ,

It is better to include every people in both (export data and analize in excel) ,because some unknown effects of the shared workbook have not been found.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @V-lianl-msft 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dobregon ,

As described in the document,disabling Export Data also prevents users from using the Analyze in Excel feature, as well as using the Power BI service live connection.

However, if the data export function is limited in desktop when publishing reports, it is invalid to enable the export function in service.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-export-data#set-the-export-... 

Best Regards,
Liang

Thanks @V-lianl-msft  and @lbendlin for the replies

As i want to understand is why export data affect to analyze in Excel. I want to have a file connected to my olap cube (analyze in excel for a dataset) and i want to know where i need to put the group of contacts

Doing some trials i know (and correct me if im wrong).

• if a user want to use my file and play with the values of the olap cube, he needs to be as "built" user in the dataset.
  • Also, he needs to apear in the analyze in excel tenant permissions (or in the total organization)

Do he needs to be appear in the export data too? 

Regards

Hi @dobregon ,

After my testing, you also need to enable export data for the entire organization or a specific security group.Otherwise, you cannot see the button of Analyze in Excel.

Best Regards,
Liang

@V-lianl-msft  thanks for the reply

Another question if it is possible. If someone with security permisions (exportdata and analyse in excel) download the analyse in excel and send by email to another user in the company. 

The new user doesnt need to go to the powerbi and download the analyse in excel becasue he has received it by email or saved in a folder, etc. This "new" user need to be in Export data to use and refresh the info in the excel or only in Analyze in excel? or it is better to include every people in both (export data and analize in excel) in order to they can play with the excels connected to the dataset?

Thanks and regards!

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"Export Data"  is limited to the data behind an individual visual on a report page.

"Analyze in Excel" connects to the SSAS instance and gives your users full(*) access to the data model. It's like accessing an OLAP cube (a multi-table pivot).  This is much more powerful and (arguably) more convenient than Export Data.

*) within the limitations you as a developer have imposed by hiding columns or tables in your data model. It also requires explicit measures (something that is not absolutely necessary in Power BI)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors