Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JenM
Advocate II
Advocate II

Export data in a drill-down chart should only export data for current level of drill-down (WYSIWYG)

The drill-down functionality is wonderful, but (imo) it doesn't work correctly with respect to exporting the data. I want my users to be able to export exactly what they are looking at (WYSIWYG). Instead, what they get, is, regardless of the level of drill-down, the lowest level of detail. This is not useful!

If I have a sales chart with the following drill-downs:

- Region

- State

- County

- Customer

and I'm viewing it at the highest level, Region, I can right-click and See Data, at which point I will be looking at the same summary data as is visualized, i.e., (for example) a small table with 4 regions and their respective sales data. Unfortunately, I cannot in any way select or grab those numbers. If I then try to get that same data by using Export Data, what I get is the hundreds or thousands of rows of customer-level data.

This leaves me having to waste real estate by duplicating the same visual once for each level of drill-down that my users need to access.

Would love to hear from others on this issue, and know if there's already a suggestion to address this issue on the ideas forum (I've searched on the subject, but been unable to find anything along these lines.

Cheers!

14 REPLIES 14
pitcraj
Helper I
Helper I

I am surprised the matrix would drill up and drill down to the level we need but then the export doesn't follow that suit.

Found something in service which wasn't earlier that can exData with Current layout.PNGport data with current layout

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also checking in on this feature

I am checking whether anyone has solution to this issue so far?

annapritchard21
Regular Visitor

Also checking in on this feature - HUGE need in our company

Hi - Is there any update on this Feature yet?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also checking in to know if there has been found a solution to this obvious problem? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good day

Just wanted to know if this feature has been added? 

Kind Regards

Bash

JenM
Advocate II
Advocate II

I don't understand your response.

You seem to both say that it's a bug ("we can reproduce this issue") and that it's already resolved ("there is such a functionally to only export only current level data.")

You say there's a setting ("it's default setting to export all the records from current level to lowest level") but you don't indicate how we can access that setting...

Then you conclude by telling me to enter it as a feature request... (which tilts back towards bug...) I will do so. Sigh.

Hi @JenM,

Sorry for the confusion.

Power BI export all the records from current level to lowest level by default. This is not a bug.

What you want is that only export current level data. It's a feature request.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

As you suggested, I entered this as a feature request. Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has there been any movement on this feature request? Further, I have found that my total rows do not export either. These seem like massive oversights given that many people have the impression that Power BI and Excel pair well together.

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @JenM,

I have tested it on our local environment, we can reproduce this issue.

It seems that it's default setting to export all the records from current level to lowest level. And based on my research, there is no such a functionally to only export only current level data. 

If you have any concern on this feature, you can submit your idea on the link below. If this feature was mentioned by mulitple users, product team will consider to add this feature to next release.https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Regards,
Charlie Liao

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@JenM That to me seems like a bug. You should report it here.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors