Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

drad
Helper I
Helper I

Export data from Power BI online

I have a user that is needing to export summarised data from a visual in Power BI online.

I am able to click the elipsis above the matrix and export summarised data:mine.jpg

However, the user in question is not. He doesn't even have the option:his.jpg

When looking at the actual pbix settings it is set to allow export:2019-06-11 14_02_42-Options.png

I don't understand what could be blocking this. In classic Microsoft fashion, all the options are so heavily buried in context menus I don't even know where to look.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

5 REPLIES 5
drad
Helper I
Helper I

For more information, this is what the user sees in the workspace. He can confirm that in the 2nd report he has the ability to export data, or analyze in excel. But the 1st report he cannot. Take note of the excel symbol that is greyed out. Surely there is a setting somewhere that can change this.

his2.jpg

It seems like the user doesn't have the permisison to build new content using the underlying dataset.

When the content owner shares the content to this user, the "Allow users to build new content using the underlying datasets" was not checked.

To fix it, the owner can grant build permission to this user through manage permissions page of this underlying dataset. This documentation has more context https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-build-permissions#build-permissions-for-s...

Thanks for your reply. 

I've already ensured that all of these boxes are ticked. So there is something else at play here. I'm very confused.permissions.jpg

Hi @drad ,

I'd like to suggest you check admin portal settings to confirm if export features are disabled.

Administering Power BI in the admin portal

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Back when I had this issue a few weeks ago. I followed these instructions but found that Export Data settings were enabled for all users in the organisation. 

I disabled, then reenabled this setting and it fixed it, however, I'm now experiencing the same issue again! My users can't export data as they dont have the option.

• All dashboards in question allow Summarised AND Underlying data export
  • All users in question have the Build and Reshare permission on the data set and report
  • All users in question have full power BI Pro licences
  • All users in question have now been added as members of the workspace

After all this, they still can't export. I think this has to be a Power BI bug. Are there any suggestions on where to go from here?

Thanks,

Dan.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors