Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Export Underlying Data - Need few columns in particular order

Hello Experts,

While exporting the underlying data, in the excel file the columns are coming in some default order lets say: ColB, ColD, ColA, ColC etc. 

But I need the excel file with the columns ordering like: ColA, ColB, ColC, ColD etc. 

I have changed the order in Power Query as well, but after publishing and exporting from Service, it's the same order. 

Is it even possible to organize the columns in the export file? Is there any workaround available? 

Thanks in advance. 

Regards,

Anirban

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Do you mean sorting the columns like this sequence? The export data column should be Name, Group and Profit.

export1.jpg

export2.jpg

If yes, it is not supported. You just sort it in Excel by yourself.

CTRL + X and insert cut cells.

export3.jpg

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Do you mean sorting the columns like this sequence? The export data column should be Name, Group and Profit.

export1.jpg

export2.jpg

If yes, it is not supported. You just sort it in Excel by yourself.

CTRL + X and insert cut cells.

export3.jpg

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Do you want to sort horizontally or vertically?

ex1.jpg

If it is the first scenario, you just can drag the columns in Values to sort them.

ex2.jpg

If it is the second scenario, you can sort the value using the Sort function.

ex3.jpg

If it doesn’t meet your requirement, could you please provide a mockup sample based on fake data?

It will be helpful if you can show us the exact expected result based on the tables.

Please upload your files to OneDrive For Business and share the link here. Please don't contain any Confidential Information or Real data in your reply.

Best regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-zhenbw-msft , Thanks for replying. I am looking for neither of the above scenarios. I am trying to pull the underlying data from a Card visual. I want to arrange the underlying data of the card visual, it's not about the table which you have mentioned.  

Please refer this link: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/In-Export-data-By-default-some-column-order-is-coming/td-p/...

My issue is exactly like this and this question was unanswered. 

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

Power BI exports data based on the order of the columns arranged in the visual. If you need to have the exported Excel file contain the order, arrange the columns in the visual, not in Power Query.

If my answer was helpful, please click Accept it as the solution to help other members find it useful

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

Website YouTube  LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fowmy , Thank you for answering. This is the underlying data of one measure and the measure calculation has been done on a column for the distinct value. How to sort this? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors