Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

WendyDUFE
Helper III
Helper III

Export -PowerPoint - Embed Live Data available for B2B guest users ?

Hi ,

In my tenant, there are B2B guest user invited, I have power BI premium capacity and share the reports to the B2B guest users via Premium Workspaces.

Recently, I noticed that there is a new festure released from Power BI Service, user can select to connect to the live report data from Power Point by clicking the export -> powerpoint menu:

Previously, there is only one option "Embed an image" .

WendyNHK_0-1657596144029.png

The B2B users can select this option to embed the live data, however, when open the PowerPoint, there is error displayed:

WendyNHK_1-1657596348589.png

The error details:

Http Status Code: 401
Error Code: GroupNotAccessible

Error Time: 2022-07-12T02:47:55.629Z

Cluster URI: https://WABI-AUSTRALIA-EAST-A-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Api URI: https://api.powerbi.com
Build: 13.0.18578.34
Office Host: PowerPoint
Platform: PC
PPT Version: 16.0.15330.20230

The B2B user has M365 enterprise subscription in his home tenant and the B2B guest user can embed the live data from the report in his home tenant successfully. 

In my tenant there is no M365 subscription.  Is this the problem ? or is the B2B user type a problem ?

"Embed an image" works totally fine for all the B2B users. If the "Embed live data " does not work for B2B guest users, I want to check whether this "Embed live data " option can be disabled ? But I still need the "Embed an image"  option enabled.

Below is my tenant settings currently, kindly FYI

WendyNHK_2-1657596527370.pngWendyNHK_3-1657596530636.png

Thank you

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was also trying to embed live data into PowerPoint and have a similar issue, but my error code is showing UserNotLicensed. Is it because of the Power BI trial license? I was just trying to embed it into my PPT without sharing to anyone.

@Anonymous 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-power-bi-powerpoint-add-in-about#requirements

If you want to embed the report in your personal workspace, should be fine I think. You can refer to above link about more details.

Now my issue was resoved as Microsoft mentioned that B2B user does not have this capability in the limitation section on their official learning document.

Good luck to you

WendyDUFE_0-1667183787201.png

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-power-bi-powerpoint-add-in-about

ak-owa

Not a function available yet. I've submitted the idea, please vote:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=9a74a34b-524a-ed11-97b2-281878dec973

I also voted for this idea. But as per the post in the idea thread, it seems this is a powerpoint product limitation, the office / microsoft product license probably can only be activated from the home tenant ... @ak-owa 

WendyDUFE
Helper III
Helper III

@v-mengzhu-msft  hi Selina, any updates here?

Hi @WendyDUFE ,

It took me a while to think about your question. I was wondering if you have tried embedding the PPT for users in the organization, not guest users, and if it works?

And I've been thinking about the "GroupNotAccessible" error, do you share reports to guest users by group or by individual user?

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

@v-mengzhu-msft  Hi Selina,

The user in the organization do not have the M365 subscription, it does not work .

Report is shared to guest users via Security group (by first inviting users to my organization as B2B guest user).

BTW, If the "Embed live data " does not work for B2B guest users, I want to check whether this "Embed live data " option can be disabled ? But I still need the "Embed an image" option enabled.

Hi @WendyDUFE ,

In "Admin Portal", this funciton is related to export to power point.

vmengzhumsft_0-1658740999741.png

and my current guess is that sharing to security groups may not be supported, maybe you can try to see if sharing to a single guest user will work.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

@v-mengzhu-msft 

Hi Selina,

I have tried sharing to a single guest user, it does not work as well. Did you make it from your end ?

Not a function available yet. I've submitted the idea, please vote:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=9a74a34b-524a-ed11-97b2-281878dec973

thanks Selina @v-mengzhu-msft 

I just followed your reply and disabled the embeded live data function for my organization in admin portal.

> and my current guess is that sharing to security groups may not be supported, maybe you can try to see if sharing to a single guest user will work.

Do you have any document link from Microsoft regarding your guess?

BTW, I have encountered one error below, does it mean that my organization has diabled the off add in so I can not connect live data to power bi from power point app?

WendyDUFE_0-1658804092979.png

Hi @WendyDUFE ,

Sorry for not replying to you until today. Have you solved your problem?

vmengzhumsft_0-1659419140673.png

Yes , this error means that the function has been disabled.

I was unable to find doc that explicitly states that it cannot be shared to security groups, perhaps because it is still a new feature.So I may not be able to guarantee that this is necessarily right , and I apologize over here.

I just find the following related link:

Power BI add-in for PowerPoint - Admin info - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

vmengzhumsft_1-1659419330790.png

make sure this commands are all meet.

Best regards,

v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @WendyDUFE ,

Thank you for providing such detailed information. Based on your error message, the error appears “GroupNotAccessible“,so I think it may be due to insufficient permission.

vmengzhumsft_0-1657770156651.png

Please check that the account used by PowerPoint has reporting permissions.

You need to be logged in to an account that has permissions to the report on PowerPoint. If the account does not have permission, a 401 code will be returned.

You can also through another way as the following shows to make sure people in your organization can get access.

vmengzhumsft_1-1657770156653.png

For detailed information please refer to this doc : Tell a story with your data. Announcing the all-new Power BI integration for PowerPoint. | Microsoft...

Best regards,

@v-mengzhu-msft 

Thanks Selina,

I have went through the link you provided, also I double confirmed that the user has the report access from Power BI Portal.

Two Power BI Portal, 

A is home tenant power bi portal

B is B2B guest tenant power bi portal (Premium Workspace)

User can export - > powerpoint-> embed live data successfully for case A

however, even though user can view the report for case B (has access to the report), but encounter the issue

Does the B2B guest user type matter ?

WendyDUFE_2-1658221123388.png

Http Status Code: 401
Error Code: GroupNotAccessible

Below is my account snapshot

WendyDUFE_0-1658219969837.png

below is the workspace snapshot, you can see it is premium capacity workspace 

WendyDUFE_1-1658220019391.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors