Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dbabmg
Frequent Visitor

Export Data No Longer an Option for Users?

Hello,

It seems that users in our organization can no longer see "Export Data" as an option when attempting to export data from a report tile. 

I have confirmed in our Admin Portal Tenant Settings that users are allowed to export data, and have also tried to add specific Active Directory security groups to exporting permissions. At this time only Admins see the option on tiles to export data.

We have also confirmed that on the report and tile itself that exporting summarized data is allowed, and still no dice.

Any thoughts? I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
santabreeze
Employee
Employee

It seems like some users in your organizaiton don't have the permisison on the underlying dataset.

When the content owner shares the content to this user, the "Allow users to build new content using the underlying datasets" was probably not checked.

To fix it, the owner can grant build permission to these users through manage permissions page of this underlying dataset.

For more informaiton, please read https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-build-permissions#build-permissions-for-s...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
santabreeze
Employee
Employee

It seems like some users in your organizaiton don't have the permisison on the underlying dataset.

When the content owner shares the content to this user, the "Allow users to build new content using the underlying datasets" was probably not checked.

To fix it, the owner can grant build permission to these users through manage permissions page of this underlying dataset.

For more informaiton, please read https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-build-permissions#build-permissions-for-s...

Ah, that makes sense! Thank you.

To clarify my understanding after reading that article; if a user is only permitted to a portion of the data set via RLS, they will only be able to export, and build on, still that filtered info from the data set, correct? They also will not be able to edit my published report, as Im assuming their building only "forks" my report so to speak.

For example, we have mortgage bankers who cannot have access to other mortgage bankers loans, so I just want to ensure that with build permissions they can't edit my published report, or export outside of what their RLS permits.

Thank you again for the help and clarification, it is much appreciated.

You are correct. 

For users who have build permission on dataset that has RLS applied, they will be able to consume this dataset with RLS restriction. They will not be able to modify your report, but they will be able to build new report using this dataset with RLS restriction.  

Fantastic, thank you so much for help and clarification!! You rock.

Other option is that schedule an offline data set to distribute to the users that are allowed to have access to.

Like I do see here : https://audministrator.wordpress.com/2020/01/03/power-bi-export-data-set-to-csv-file-overcome-150000...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors