Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PBI_V
Frequent Visitor

Export Data - Column Header Name Change

Hi all,

I've created a report and uploaded to the service. The report contains 2 tables, each has been recreated using the table visual to facilitate data export. Both tables have a first column name 'Property Name', and they display as such in the table visual. When exporting (to .xlsx) from the first table the column header displays as 'Property Name' in the data extract, the second table, however, exports the data with the header name 'Table Name'[Property Name], adding a prefix to the header to presumably distinguish it from identically named fields sitting within other tables within the overall report. 

Is there a means to bypass this to ensure the data exported retains the exact column names specified in each visual?

Best regards,

PBI_V

5 REPLIES 5
jvinetsky
Frequent Visitor

When you export the data from app.powerbi.com, if you choose .xlsx (Excel) with live connection the column headers are the original data names. If you choose .xlsx without a live connection, you will see the edited column headers.

Sujith_S
Frequent Visitor

The best and the better way is to go to the Advanced editor/Power query and change the according statements manually and refresh the whole. It would be a waste of time if you spend time in clicking some buttons and so on...

rammy_rammy
Advocate I
Advocate I

Ensure the coulmn names are unique.

In Power BI, you can rename a field (column) by double-clicking the field and typing a new name. Power BI refers to the new name as an alias. It's possible that a Power BI report can end up with duplicate field names, but Excel doesn't allow duplicates. So when Power BI exports the data to Excel, the field aliases revert to their original field (column) names.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @PBI_V ,

Can I ask did you find any solution to the issue of the exporting of 'Table_Name' along with Column Header name in .xlsx format ? I recently started facing the same issue while exporting a table details in .xlsx format. I tested the same on other reports but those are working fine. As a user, I only want to see the "Column_Name" not "Table_Name[Column_Name]".

Thanks 

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @PBI_V ,

I could not figure out what is your problem, based on my test, the result like below:

1.PNG

What is your desired result ?

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors