Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Fia123
Helper II
Helper II

Exclude from refresh certain queries from Excel files

I have report with a lot of queries from a sql server - and some queries from Excel files.  I have just installed a gateway to get the data from sql served to be updated, but it is not necessary to refresh the data from the Excel files (static data) . Is it possible to configurate the schedule updates to only refresh the sql data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's the Enable Load option, disable that.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

In Query Editor, right click your query and set it to not refresh.

Latest book!:

Hi again, I am struggling to find a solution to my problem - and hope you (or someone) have another tip 🙂

I have a report with data from a Sql server and some additional static information in Excel files.  I tried to set up a schedule refresh plan for the data set, but it seems hat it is not possible to combine on-premises data (Sql) with data in Excel files.  If it had been possible to exclude the Excel files from the refresh plan, my problem had been solved. I tried to untagged "Include in report refresh", but it does not help. To your information I am using a data gateway.

Thanks in advance!

@Fia123 wrote:

Hi again, I am struggling to find a solution to my problem - and hope you (or someone) have another tip 🙂

I have a report with data from a Sql server and some additional static information in Excel files.  I tried to set up a schedule refresh plan for the data set, but it seems hat it is not possible to combine on-premises data (Sql) with data in Excel files.  If it had been possible to exclude the Excel files from the refresh plan, my problem had been solved. I tried to untagged "Include in report refresh", but it does not help. To your information I am using a data gateway.

Thanks in advance!

@Fia123

The option "Include in report refresh" only works in Power BI desktop.

Power BI gateway(personal mode in your case) definitely support such combined data sources. You can click "edit credential" and ensure that when using a absolute path(c:\\xxxx\xxxx\xxxx.xlsx), ensure that the gateway is on the same server, otherwise you can encounter error as below.

Capture.PNG

Hi,

My experience is that this is not possible.

If the Excel sheet containg data areas, it will always require a gateway and if it only contains data, it requires credentials, which do not exist.

My work around is to

- copy all data in the excen sheet,

- go to Power BI desktop to the Enter Data in the Home tab

-  Paste the data in from the clipboard 

- Name the table 

Then it will be excluded from refresh

/Peik

Hi,

My experience is that this is not possible.

If the Excel sheet containg data areas, it will always require a gateway and if it only contains data, it requires credentials, which do not exist.

My work around is to

- copy all data in the excen sheet,

- go to Power BI desktop to the Enter Data in the Home tab

-  Paste the data in from the clipboard 

- Name the table 

Then it will be excluded from refresh

/Peik

Hi thanks - do you mean not select "Include in report refresh"? 

Report_Refresh.jpg

I have tried that, but still it seems that the Excel file (Dato_Tabell.xlsx) will be refresh. In any case, I am asked to add my credentials when I tried to set up a schedule plan.

Gateway_Excel.jpg

It's the Enable Load option, disable that.

Latest book!:

I'm having this issue and don't think disabling the load option is the right solution as it deletes the table. I think the only solution is to copy the date into a new table in Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors