Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NickHall
Frequent Visitor

Exclude Some Published Data Sources

Hi,

In a report I am trying to publish there are some static fields imported from local excel worksheets. There are also several fields that pull from a SQL database that we have sitting behind an on-premise gateway.

The fields that use the static data are on import mode and the SQL database fields are on DirectQuery mode.

This all works fine on PowerBI desktop but things break when we publish to app.powerbi.com. The imported static data is fine, but slicers using the directquery data are broken. I tracked the problem to the gateway being disabled for this particular data set. The problem is that the dataset is trying to create a gateway connection to the excel workbooks as well as the sql server database we have setup, despite all the required data already being cached in the pbix.

In the gateway connection dataset options, the gateway dataset has a green tick, which is the only data that actually needs to be refreshed periodically. However, all the other datasources (the workbook files) have a red cross next to them. This prevents enabling the 'use a data gateway' option and is breaking the directquery.

image.png

Is there a way to tell powerbi to ignore these datasources as they are not at all required and just use the data for them in the pbix? I do NOT want to make these workbook files accessible to the gateway.

I have tried disabling "include in report refresh" in the query editor but this doesn't solve the problem, and also breaks the data loading locally when we refresh.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @NickHall,

unfortunately all datasources you use in Power BI Desktop have to be present in the gateway to be able to schedule a refresh. No matter if you actually want to refresh the data.

A solution might be:

If the data is always static, instead of using the Excel files as a source, you could copy the data from Excel right in to Power BI Desktop. For that you can use the Enter data option in the ribbon.

image.png

Just copy the data from Excel and paste it in this window.

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @NickHall,

unfortunately all datasources you use in Power BI Desktop have to be present in the gateway to be able to schedule a refresh. No matter if you actually want to refresh the data.

A solution might be:

If the data is always static, instead of using the Excel files as a source, you could copy the data from Excel right in to Power BI Desktop. For that you can use the Enter data option in the ribbon.

image.png

Just copy the data from Excel and paste it in this window.

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors