Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

santt66_avenu
Advocate I
Advocate I

Exception while parsing CSDL to create Conceptual Schema

Hey there,

Can anyone help me with this particular error message?:

error.png

For starters, It's a model built in Power BI Desktop and -I think- nothing has changed since yesterday when the report was loading just fine.

I've tried publishing it in different workspaces and removing the relationships to see if any of those may be the underlying problem, but seems a bit more complicated than that.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes! Mine's working too! 
Thanks for the update.

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
adamant

In our case this generic error "...failed to parse CSDL...' was caused by one of the measures being incorrectly written.

x_Is_Workday =  //IF ([Is Workday for Country] = TRUE(), TRUE(), FALSE())

Notice part of the statement was commented out. This was put in several months ago, but started manifesting itself only a few days ago. Dataset could be refreshed in the desktop PowerBI, but when we pushed it online and tried to refresh there it would be failing with the " Failed to parse CSDL..." error.  We tracked it down but gradually removing tables from the dataset, migrating the dataset and refreshing online. It took a long time but we finally found the problem in one of the measures.

andymac
Regular Visitor

I've had confirmation from Microsoft Support that this is a bug and the product team are working on a fix.  They sent me a link to this thread and suggested I remove calculation groups as a short term workaround!  Interestingly one of my clients dashboard, hosted in the US region has started working again this morning, another hosted in the UK region is still giving the same error.  No official ETA for a fix yet.

Just to tell you that the problem was solved in my case.... also hosted in US region.

Best regards!

Yes! Mine's working too! 
Thanks for the update.

Thanks for the update!
Also, for those who use Analyze in Excel, that work for me without changing anything.

FVINF

The same issue has been reported in the "Issues" forum in the following link.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Exception-while-parsing-CSDL-to-create-Conceptual-Schema/idc...

Community Support Team member has reacted to that post to ask for further information, so I have replied asking to use this post as further reference, since there is more information available here. It might be worthwhile to share your findings in that post, since it seems to be on the radar of the support team.

tenfingers
Advocate II
Advocate II

In my case, I was able to narrow it down to a KPI type calculation created with Tabular Editor. removing this fixed the issue:
Creating KPIs in Power BI Desktop - SQLBI

THANKS A LOT "tenfingers"!! 🙂
Did the same and now it works. 500+users are happy again. BR, Lars

mookje77
Regular Visitor

In my case, calculation group was the problem

MAFE62
Frequent Visitor

This is what MS said about the problem:

"Thank you for time during our call today.
I wanted to provide an update on your case. Many users have reported the similar issue. This issue has been escalated and is currently being investigated by the product team.
For now we have everything we need from you. If additional logs are needed we will contact you. Also, we will keep you posted with any updates.

Thank you for your support and cooperation while working on this ticket."

Thanks for the update! It is clear that it is not something trivial, we'll just have to wait

SIVNAPPA9774

Same here... I deleted some measures and it works... Now I'm trying to discover wich measure is (there are a lot in my model and I know it is more than one)

I found out which measures were giving error in the model and deleted them... After that I recreated theese measure and it is working now

Which type of measure, please?

Nothing special 😞   (one of then were just a subtration)... I noticed that were the last ones that I created.

I deleted some and tested, than deleted more and tested... until discover it

Microsoft support told me that it could be an issue elated to powerbi version. Mine dates nov 21. Which are yours?

Tested both November 22 and October 22, none of those worked. 
In my case, deleting the calculation groups did the trick, but of course it's something I'm expecting to revert. At least it is a workaround..

I have the same problem with a Dataset of a customer.

They have >2'000 Measures and there's a few Calculation Groups. 

No way I'm going to start troubleshooting which one is causing the issue...

@Microsoft: Please fix this ASAP!

egakagoc2xi
Frequent Visitor

Same Issue

JesWitt

Same issue here. Critical!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors