Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excel file stored in SharePoint library not showing UK date format in PBI Service

Hi there, I have a simple Excel file with a date in UK format (dd/mm/yyyy) as a data source to a Power BI report. When the file is stored on my OneDrive for Business the date appears correctly in the Excel file, PBI desktop and the PBI Service. However, when I move the file to a Sharepoint Document Library and change the data source in the desktop version of PBI to the Sharepoint document library, the Excel file and desktop PBI report are fine but the PBI Service has american format dates. Please can someone let me know how I can fix this issue?

Thanks......Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Microsoft very quickly responded and showed me that the date field in my desktop PBIX file was coming in from Excel as a text field. When we changed this to a date field, everything worked as it should.

Thanks Microsoft.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Could you see if your regional settings are set correctly both on your Computer and in your browser settings?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very much for your response, I should have said that I have checked the regional settings on my device and in the browser. I also tried a different browser. It was only when I copied my Excel file to my OneDrive for Business and changed the data source of my PBI report that the PBI service showed the correct dates. Changing the data source back to the SharePoint document library reinstated the error. I will double-check this result later today.

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have done some more detailed testing. If I revert to the OneDrive version of the file and publish the report, the dates go back to UK format. In PBI desktop, I can then change the source to the SharePoint Document Library and publish the report and it is still all correct with UK format dates.

However, once a scheduled update of the PBI Service updates the file, the dates turn American - surely this is a bug?

Steve

This could possibly be a bug. I would suggest logging a request ticket.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I have logged this as a bug but I am still awaiting a response from Microsoft.

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable

Microsoft very quickly responded and showed me that the date field in my desktop PBIX file was coming in from Excel as a text field. When we changed this to a date field, everything worked as it should.

Thanks Microsoft.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors