Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Excel export issues

Hello!
I have a report with several table visuals. When i export and open the excel i receive the messages shown below.

The exported file holds the correct data but i do not know what is causing the messages and I would like to fix that as it will be a problem in the long run.
This is also only an issue with this specific report. Other reports are extracting fine.

We found a problem with certain content in "Data.xlsx". Do you want the attempt to restore as much as possible? Press Yes if you trust the workbook source.We found a problem with certain content in "Data.xlsx". Do you want the attempt to restore as much as possible? Press Yes if you trust the workbook source.

Excel could open the file through repairing or removing the unreadable content. File level validation and repair has been completed. Certain parts in the workbook may have been repaired or removed. Repaired posts: Cellinformation from /xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml-delExcel could open the file through repairing or removing the unreadable content. File level validation and repair has been completed. Certain parts in the workbook may have been repaired or removed. Repaired posts: Cellinformation from /xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml-del

Connect on LinkedIn
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
iron_dinges
Helper II
Helper II

Hello, apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm posting here as this was one of the top results when I Google searched for this issue.

I encountered the same issue on a report and by process of elimination of columns discovered that it is due to having an "Infinity" as a value, which is caused by a divide by zero measure.

My table included a measure "Sales Achieved %" which was calculated as "Actual Sales / Budget Sales" (both are also measures). This measure did not check for instances where Budget Sales would equal zero.

On the BI report, these cases would display as "Infinity" or "-Infinity".

I resolved the issue by including "If(Not[Budget Sales] = 0, ..." in my measure definition.

Presumably the reason this happens is because Power BI and Excel handle such numbers differently.

If your issue is not a divide by zero issue, I recommend removing columns from the visual you are trying to export until you discover which one is giving the issue and troubleshoot from there.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
iron_dinges
Helper II
Helper II

Hello, apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm posting here as this was one of the top results when I Google searched for this issue.

I encountered the same issue on a report and by process of elimination of columns discovered that it is due to having an "Infinity" as a value, which is caused by a divide by zero measure.

My table included a measure "Sales Achieved %" which was calculated as "Actual Sales / Budget Sales" (both are also measures). This measure did not check for instances where Budget Sales would equal zero.

On the BI report, these cases would display as "Infinity" or "-Infinity".

I resolved the issue by including "If(Not[Budget Sales] = 0, ..." in my measure definition.

Presumably the reason this happens is because Power BI and Excel handle such numbers differently.

If your issue is not a divide by zero issue, I recommend removing columns from the visual you are trying to export until you discover which one is giving the issue and troubleshoot from there.

Hi @iron_dinges,

This was quite a while ago but I believe that you are perfectly framing the same conclusion that I came to back when I worked with this. 🙂

Br,
J

Connect on LinkedIn
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @tex628,

Based your information, it seems that this error message appeared in Excel, you'd better have a contact with the support of Excel to get more professional help.

If you still need help, please share a dummy pbix file which can reproduce the scenario, so that I can have a test on it? You can upload it to OneDrive or Dropbox and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.)

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The extract prompts these errors not only on my own excel but on anyone that attempts to extract the file. I would assume that this means that the issue is not related to excel but the content of the report in PBI.
Since I dont know what part of the report is causing this i can reproduce it. 

I'll post in the excel forum as well but I do not believe it's likely that they will be able to determine the cause if it's within PBI.

Br,
Johannes

Connect on LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors