Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RakeshSinghr
Resolver I
Resolver I

Excel connecting to PBI Dataset Refresh Error

I get an error after performing these steps:

1) Created PBI Dataflow entities in Power BI Service

2) In Power BI Desktop, connected live to PBI Dataflow

3) Created star schema and published to PBI Service

4) On the published dataset, click analyse in excel

5) open .odc file in excel to create pivot table report and few charts

6) published the excel to Power BI service workspace

7) Click on published Excel in Power BI Service

😎 It opens up fine but when i interact or click any field in Pivot table, i get :

After clicking Yes:

Capture.JPG

Questions:

1) I know what i'm doing probably looks like going in a circle with uploading excel back into Power BI service. The idea is to have all excel templates within Power BI workspace for a team to be able to collaborate. So while they can use Power BI service worspace as a storage location for excel workbooks having Pivot table interactions within excel online would be good. is this possible? After all, excel in power bi service is just connecting to PBI dataset again within same workspace.

If the excel is edited in desktop app it works fine.

2) To refresh the excel report, what are the options? obviously the underlying PBI dataset will be refreshed on a schedule and i could tick the refresh on opening checkbox but is it possible to trigger Excel report refresh too on a schedule or after dataset is refreshed?

3) I understand Publish to dashboard Excel add in has been replaced with Analyse in Excel. Does anyone have a download link for 64 bit version please?

Thanks
Rakesh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Currently Excel workbooks cannot be interacted with in the Power BI Service.

2) Unfortunately as it stands today there is no way to automatically refresh the Excel workbook in the Power BI Service. You could maybe use PowerOn to do this for you?

3) With the new workspace versions you have to use the ODC connection from the report (clicking Analyze in Excel in the Power BI Service) to connect to the data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Currently Excel workbooks cannot be interacted with in the Power BI Service.

2) Unfortunately as it stands today there is no way to automatically refresh the Excel workbook in the Power BI Service. You could maybe use PowerOn to do this for you?

3) With the new workspace versions you have to use the ODC connection from the report (clicking Analyze in Excel in the Power BI Service) to connect to the data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors