Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mattiarusso
Frequent Visitor

Excel Workbook and Power BI integration

Hello Everybosy,

I wonder if someone could help me about the topic in the subject of this post.

Is possible in Power BI Service have a report and an Excel Workbook with a shared dataset?

I did some tests but the report in the Excel Workbook gives me an error when updated or try to use it.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mattiarusso,

We can use Power BI publisher for Excel feature to achieve this requirement. With this feature, you can take snapshots of your most important insights in Excel, like PivotTables, charts, and ranges and pin them to dashboards in Power BI.

Capture.PNG

Please note that, if you make a change to a PivotTable or chart you've already pinned, the dashboard tile in Power BI isn't updated automatically, but you can still update your pinned elements by using Pin Manager.

Reference
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-publisher-for-excel/

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mattiarusso,

We can use Power BI publisher for Excel feature to achieve this requirement. With this feature, you can take snapshots of your most important insights in Excel, like PivotTables, charts, and ranges and pin them to dashboards in Power BI.

Capture.PNG

Please note that, if you make a change to a PivotTable or chart you've already pinned, the dashboard tile in Power BI isn't updated automatically, but you can still update your pinned elements by using Pin Manager.

Reference
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-publisher-for-excel/

Regards,

Charlie Liao

OK @v-caliao-msft,

thanks. Can you tell me if is possible achieve the the following requiremnts:

• upload in power bi service both the report pbix that the excel workbook;
  • the two file (pbix and xlsx) must have the same dataset;
  • i want to pin in my dashbaord a pivot table and i want that th tile is automatically refreshed;
  • I want be able to navigate the Pivot Table in Excel from Power BI Services.

Thank you!

What is your data source?

If it is SSAS I don't think Power BI supports Excel connections back to that.

If you want to use an Excel file for the data source, I think you have to load it into One Drive, and then link it in from there and PowerBI will use the OneDrive Excel sheet as the data source as well as the pinned sheet.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-excel-workbook-files/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors