Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pranim
Helper I
Helper I

Excel Autofill refresh in Power Bi Service

I have a Excel workbook  in One Drive for Business with formulas(Autofills). I am able to import that workbook into power bi desktop create reports and publish it to power bi service/online. But when i refresh the data its not showing me the autofill updated data but the data which doesn't have autofills are being updated(Name of the person, i have changed the format and tested). The data with autofills will not be updated when refreshed?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
alanhodgson
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hey @pranim,

I ran into this same issue. The reason the Autofills will not update, is because the Excel file (an instance of Excel) never actually opens when the refresh from OneDrive occurs. It just looks at the data in the file.

I was able to bypass this issue by writing a simple python script that would open an Excel instance in the background and refresh the file (and update AutoFills). I did this because I had to do that same task for 30+ spreadsheets.

Here is a link to a similiar script of what I used.

Hope this helps,

Alan

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
alanhodgson
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hey @pranim,

I ran into this same issue. The reason the Autofills will not update, is because the Excel file (an instance of Excel) never actually opens when the refresh from OneDrive occurs. It just looks at the data in the file.

I was able to bypass this issue by writing a simple python script that would open an Excel instance in the background and refresh the file (and update AutoFills). I did this because I had to do that same task for 30+ spreadsheets.

Here is a link to a similiar script of what I used.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors