Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Ram_DCT
Helper II
Helper II

Event Based Scheduling for Direct Query Mode

Hi Team,

I am using power BI desktop to publish my dataset to the services and later I am going to use those datasets for my paginated report in PBI Report Builder. Please note that my source is Sybase ASE DB and I am using stored procedures to get data into Power BI Desktop.

What I need is to refresh the dataset in Power BI Services based on the event. Now, what is that event is going to be - For example, refresh should be triggered only when my Sybase DB has been updated fully. Also, we need to have an email notification when data refresh is not successfully executed.

3 REPLIES 3
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Ram_DCT,

Unfortunately this is not something that is supported out-of-the-box in the Power BI Service. Scheduling there can only be time-based.

If you'd like to do it event-based you would have to use PowerShell to call the Power BI cmdlets (or the REST API itself) to refresh the dataset.
You can also use Power Automate to do a refresh based on a trigger (updated Sybase DB).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Great! Appreciate your help here.

Unfortunately, even we do not have any integration experience in doing this out-of-box activity.

It would be very helpful if you can share some documents or steps around integrating the stated approach [i.e. Power Shell, Rest APIs, etc.].

Thanks,

Ram

Hi , @Ram_DCT 

I don't have much experience in this.

I find some documents, please check if they are useful .

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Refresh-Power-BI-dataset-with-Microsoft-Flow-by-Kons...

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-data-refresh-apis-in-the-power-bi-service/

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors