Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MitieFred
Helper V
Helper V

Establishing tables used in PBIX's

Our Power BI reports are all based on a central Odata & SharePoint feed.  The Odata is taken from our MS Project Central database and currently extracts 18 tables, comprising Projects, Tasks, Risks, Issues etc. and these tables then have various measures/columns added to assist our reporting.

Is there a way to find out which tables are used to create each of our 90+ reports without having to physically edit each report ? 

Reason being, if we make a change to a Measure/Column, we’d like to head off any unwanted fall-out by checking the reports before publishing the revised “master” dataset.

I've used the "View Dataset" and "View Lineage"which tell me the number of views/unique viewers, but I've found no way to establish which tables are used in each report.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Regards

Fred

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

When you click on dataset there is an option "Show Tables" which displays all tables in that dataset. Would this help your case?

AbhiSSRS_0-1637606499727.png

View solution in original post

Thanks for the suggestion, however that view shows me a list of all my PBIX reports and, yes, the tables in the dataset.  What I am trying to find is something that will tell me which tables are used in each of the reports, an equivalent to clicking on the "tables" button, but for the report(s)

Even better would be something that could provide a summary of what fields within each table are used in each PBIX, but I guess that's pushing it too far . . . . . for now 🙂

Regards

Fred

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

When you click on dataset there is an option "Show Tables" which displays all tables in that dataset. Would this help your case?

AbhiSSRS_0-1637606499727.png

Thanks for the suggestion, however that view shows me a list of all my PBIX reports and, yes, the tables in the dataset.  What I am trying to find is something that will tell me which tables are used in each of the reports, an equivalent to clicking on the "tables" button, but for the report(s)

Even better would be something that could provide a summary of what fields within each table are used in each PBIX, but I guess that's pushing it too far . . . . . for now 🙂

Regards

Fred

Using a dataset in a report is like gettig all its tables access in the report, so it may not be feasible to differentiate at report level without opening the report as that becomes a report level information. The report analyzer tools help with identification of unused fields but that too needs to run at report level. Hope someone is able to chip in a workaround here on this post! 

Field finder is the tool that works at report level for this info:

https://powerbi.tips/2020/01/power-bi-field-finder/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors