Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jimbolleboom
Frequent Visitor

Error with Power BI Paginated report with MDX dataset and parameters

Hi

I have a Power BI paginated report that has a datasource to a Multi-dimensional SSAS database and a dataset that uses an MDX query with parameters. The report executes without issue in the Power BI report Builder app but returns an error when executed in the Power BI service. Note that the report also executes without issue in the Power BI Service if I remove the parameters.

The error also occurs with a DAX query with parameters against a Tabular Model.

error:
Unable to render paginated report
A data source used by this report returned an error. An exception encountered while accessing the target data source Unable to cast object of type 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdParameter' to type 'System.Data.Common.DbParameter'

The issue is specifically when using a dataset connecting to a SSAS instance when used with parameters.

Note that our gateway is not the latest version, it is December 2020 and we most likely need to upgrade but I thought I'd check first to see if anyone else has encounterred this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @jimbolleboom 

I have not seen anyone else with the issue. I would recommend upgrading there are very often bug fixes!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @jimbolleboom 

I have not seen anyone else with the issue. I would recommend upgrading there are very often bug fixes!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @jimbolleboom 

Could you upgrade your gateway and also make sure that you got the latest version of Report builder installed?

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ 

Thanks for the response. We do have a plan to upgrade the gateway but before I do that I wanted to check if anyone else had encounterred the issue and if so does the latest version resolve it.

Cheers.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors