Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error while trying to refresh report in Powerbi Desktop impersonation level not provided or invalid

Hi all,

Since a week we are getting the following error on 1 of our PowerBI reports.

"An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Could not load file or assembly 'System.EnterpriseServices, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=xxxxxxxxxxxxx' or one of its dependencies. Either a required impersonation level was not provided, or the provided impersonation level is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070542)'"

I have already found the solution of running powerbi desktop as an administrator. When doing this I can refresh the Report from Powerbi Desktop.

The other problem is that a normal user needs to be able to do the same thing.

I have used the savecred for admin user but still I have to use the "Run as administrator" elevation so I still have to manually fill in the credentials. I am using this command line.C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:Domain\Adminaccount /savecred "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\PBIDesktop.exe"

Does anyone have a better solution? Or is able to still run as administrator and able to save credentials?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

AFAIK, design reports in power bi not require additional permissions. 
Any specific visuals or other operations in your report? Did your account has enough permission for particular operations? (e.g. access to the specific system folder, use R script or python code to edit on the specific folder/file)

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly  
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I would recommend possibly uninstalling and re-installing Power BI Desktop to see if this solves the issue?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors