Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Aanwar0
Frequent Visitor

Error while refreshing a PBI report

Hello, 

I am getting this error while refreshing a report: The following system error occurred: Type mismatch. Unable to convert a value to the data type requested for table '<pii>Open Invoices</pii>' column '<pii>FY</pii>'. The data provider was unable to convert the value '<pii></pii>' from the source data type 'VT_BSTR' to the expected data type 'VT_I8'. Please check the column data types in the data model and data source and ensure that the data types are compatible.

I am able to refresh it in the Desktop but not Service. 

I tried changing the data type to whole number but the issue continued. Please assist. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Aanwar0 ,

I have had this problem in the past as well.  My suggestion is that you change the data type to text.  Then, confirm that there are no nulls, no weird characters or other unexpected data in it.  Then, if it must be a number data type, add ANOTHER STEP - not replace the first one - and convert it to number. 

It sometimes takes a bit a to find the problem.  In the past, I have had to group the trouble field and look for an anomoly.  The worst one for a number was when I had a blank in a number field - which worked fine in desktop but the service choked on it....because it didn't know what to do with a blank in the number field.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Aanwar0 ,

I have had this problem in the past as well.  My suggestion is that you change the data type to text.  Then, confirm that there are no nulls, no weird characters or other unexpected data in it.  Then, if it must be a number data type, add ANOTHER STEP - not replace the first one - and convert it to number. 

It sometimes takes a bit a to find the problem.  In the past, I have had to group the trouble field and look for an anomoly.  The worst one for a number was when I had a blank in a number field - which worked fine in desktop but the service choked on it....because it didn't know what to do with a blank in the number field.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors