Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tommy_g
Helper V
Helper V

Error when using the Duplicate Dashboard function

I am consistently receving errors when duplicating a dashboard.

I've tried this is several workspaces (the new kind) with several dashboards, simple to complex.

None are duplicated.

The error message is short & sweet: "Error duplicating dashboard".

Power BI Error on Duplication of Dashboard.JPG

100% true, 0% diagnostic value.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'm a bit late with a status report, but there is good news. The dashboard copy function is working reliably in 2020.

One pragmatic note: my workaround was to simply pin each tile from the source dashboard to the "backup" dashboard, one at a time. Realistically, there are rarely more than a dozen tiles on a dashboard.

I do find it annoying there is no native backup capability, nor a versioning function. As a developer, a great deal of my time involves making mistakes, I just don't know when or where until they happen <g>

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi tommy_g, 

Are the dashboard be shared by others? Or the dashboard in an app workspace or new app workspace that you doesn't have the permission of duplicate operation?

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-dashboard-copy

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

I am having the same problem as of yesterday 11/19/18.

I have always been able to duplicate with no problem.

i am an admin in my workspace...running Windows 10 on a MS Surface

I cleared my cache, logged off and no luck

It's my opinion the "duplicate" function runs completely on the PBI "service" and should not have any dependency on the user's environment. However, I did verify it also fails with Chrome. In each instance, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Edge and Chrome, all the very latest updates applied.

Hi tommy_g,

Have reported this issue internally, will update here when I get any response.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Can you repro?

I witness the same behaviour

One of things I suspect is these KPI controls are all connected to a Power BI datasource, cached mode. This is the first time I've used the KPI control and the first time relying on a Power BI datasource. The data source is refreshed from Azure SQL Database, which is going well and probably not relevant.

Do you find this syndrome with other controls?

I tested it from scratch:

- Created a new App Workspace (new kind of workspaces - in preview)

- Added a dashboard

- Added a tile (just a Text box) to the dashboard

- Clicked "Duplicate dashboard". Got a message "Error duplicating dashboard"

No datasets, no reports. Only a newly created dashboard with a text box tile.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue in a new App Workspace (Preview). Any updates?

My update: the problem persists.

@tommy_g wrote:

My update: the problem persists.

confirm

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem still persists on my end

Necro'ing this thread.  I'm experiencing the exact issue mentioned in this discussion.  Did anyone come up with a solution or probable cause?

The problem is still there as of today 2/13/2019.

The only difference is that you get a confirmation message telling you the copy succeeded.

It does, in the sense you get a new "copy" of the dashboard.

But it is EMPTY.

I'm a bit late with a status report, but there is good news. The dashboard copy function is working reliably in 2020.

One pragmatic note: my workaround was to simply pin each tile from the source dashboard to the "backup" dashboard, one at a time. Realistically, there are rarely more than a dozen tiles on a dashboard.

I do find it annoying there is no native backup capability, nor a versioning function. As a developer, a great deal of my time involves making mistakes, I just don't know when or where until they happen <g>

Darn, that's disappointing to hear.  Sounds like the issue has changed slightly for you.  I'm still getting the couldn't be duplicated message.

My problem was resolved a few weeks ago.  Just tried to copy a dashboard again and it seems to be working.

I am the creator of the dashboard. The command to duplicate is available, and when activated prompts for the name of the copy. Nothing happens for about 15 seconds, then error message appears. I am unaware of any permissions which might affect my ability to copy the dashboard. Please clarify your previous reply. Note: this is a newly created dashboard in the "new" workspace format.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors