Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

maxxmilo
Helper I
Helper I

Error when trying to schedule data refresh for SQL Server database using gateway

Hi, I built a report using Import from a SQL Server database, and I used some R scripts to transform the data. Now I'm just having trouble with the scheduled refresh using the Gateway. I get the error message: "Your data gateway (personal mode) is offline or couldn't be reached." Is this because I'm using a personal gateway and turn my laptop off at night when it's trying to refresh? How do folks get around this?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Here's what I ended up having to do - Set up separate Surface Pro computer with R, the needed packages, and the on-premises personal mode gateway installed on it.

To be clear, I uninstalled the regular on-premises gateway, and ONLY installed the on-premises personal gateway. I also needed to ensure all of the packages in the R Script were also installed on the instance of R on the laptop that had the gateway on it. Set the Custom Connectors to Off in the gateway as suggested in this article:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Refresh-R-Scripts-with-Personal-Gateway...

And of course make sure all credentials are accurate.

It's not ideal, but this is what we can do until/if we can get access to install the gateway and R on a server.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
henriquesilveir
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

@maxxmilo hello, about the personal gateway, to your dataset refresh your laptop need are online.

If you have something that till 24hour online, instal de on premises datagateway... now, if you don`t have, make sure that your computer till online when the schedule begin.

to learn more about personal gateway you can read this article, https://docs.microsoft.com/pt-br/power-bi/service-gateway-personal-mode , but you will see the same thing that i've write above.

Thank you! Is there anyway to schedule a data refresh without needing my computer to be on?

Yes, but for this you need to use the on-premises gateway, read this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/pt-br/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem it will help you!

don't forget to mark as solution the last reply with solutions!

Best Regards,

Thank you. However, I don’t think the on-premises gateway will work. The instructions on the page from the link you posted says the following:

“These are some points to consider before installing the gateway. 

If you are performing the installation on a laptop and the laptop is off, not connected to the Internet, or suspended, the gateway will not work and the data in the cloud service will not be synchronized with the local data.”

Is there something I'm missing, like installing the gateway somewhere else or using a completely different "Get Data" mode entirely?

@maxxmilo, exactly man, on premises must be installed into server or something that are online 24/7 or into your 'refresh' .

An option to you:

Schedule a windows Task to turn on your laptop in the time? may it can help you.. or schedule the refresh when you till online at  laptop...

Best Regards.

Ah I see - I'm very new to this, so thank you for being patient and explaining everything. I will see if I can somehow install the gateway on the server. Making this dependent on a laptop isn't a viable solution for me right now.

@maxxmilo nice! don't forget to mark as solution if you got it, okay?  it can help other persons looking for the same situation.

Ok, I will. I still haven't figured this out but am using this article to set up the gateway on the server. It looks like I'll need assistance from our on-premises database manager.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-indepth

Here's what I ended up having to do - Set up separate Surface Pro computer with R, the needed packages, and the on-premises personal mode gateway installed on it.

To be clear, I uninstalled the regular on-premises gateway, and ONLY installed the on-premises personal gateway. I also needed to ensure all of the packages in the R Script were also installed on the instance of R on the laptop that had the gateway on it. Set the Custom Connectors to Off in the gateway as suggested in this article:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Refresh-R-Scripts-with-Personal-Gateway...

And of course make sure all credentials are accurate.

It's not ideal, but this is what we can do until/if we can get access to install the gateway and R on a server.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors