Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thegekko42
Frequent Visitor

Error when filtering visual in Composite Model

Hi

I have had a composite model for a little while that worked great on Desktop and I have been waiting for the October release so I could publish it to Service.

I did and it all seemed to work perfectly.

Until I filtered one of my pages and one of the visuals just wouldn't display.

It would try to update for a while and finally give up and "Can't display the visual. See Details"

And the details are:

Couldn't load the data for this visual
Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity ID: 98c975ec-fb6c-4209-a7c8-0d6c6e04e141
Request ID: 3158514b-e478-e57b-8b5f-2e1aa59d71f2
Correlation ID: 2340c801-a84b-b9e8-ffb6-0b3c5e7da58a
Time: Wed Oct 17 2018 15:21:35 GMT+0100 (British Summer Time)
Version: 13.0.6980.207
Cluster URI: https://wabi-uk-south-redirect.analysis.windows.net

The visual displays just fine without the filter, but as soon as I use the filter I'm in trouble 😞

The core data is DirectQuery, but becasue the source data doesn't have any date tables I was forced to make my own in PowerBI

It is a very simple tabel with month numbers (linked to the month numbers in the DirectQuery) and month names, as I don't need any more detail than that.

It works perfectly everywhere else, but on this visual it just breaks 😞

Any ideas what can be done?

My workaround for now is to change the model to Import, tweak the many-to-many connections, and publish it.

But then I miss the live updates, and 8 updates per days is just not enough for this kind of report.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi thegekko42,

Please take limitations below as a reference:

When connecting to those multidimensional sources using DirectQuery, you cannot also connect to another DirectQuery source, nor combine with imported data.

The existing limitations of using DirectQuery still apply when using composite models. Many of those limitations are now per table, depending upon the storage mode of the table. For example, a calculated column on an imported table can refer to other tables, but a calculated column on a DirectQuery table is still restricted to refer only to columns on the same table. Other limitations apply to the model as a whole, if any of the tables within the model are DirectQuery. For example, the QuickInsights and Q&A features are not available on a model if any of the tables within it has a storage mode of DirectQuery.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi thegekko42,

Please take limitations below as a reference:

When connecting to those multidimensional sources using DirectQuery, you cannot also connect to another DirectQuery source, nor combine with imported data.

The existing limitations of using DirectQuery still apply when using composite models. Many of those limitations are now per table, depending upon the storage mode of the table. For example, a calculated column on an imported table can refer to other tables, but a calculated column on a DirectQuery table is still restricted to refer only to columns on the same table. Other limitations apply to the model as a whole, if any of the tables within the model are DirectQuery. For example, the QuickInsights and Q&A features are not available on a model if any of the tables within it has a storage mode of DirectQuery.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Thanks for the feedback Jimmy

My issue was that I had 2 matrixes pulling data from the same DirectQuery.

They were both connected to a slicer which pulled data from a table created directly in PowerBI

the 

If they both failed I could understand it and your explanation would comepletly explain my problems.

But one matrix worked perfectly with the slicer, whereas the other failed with the slicer.

Your comment did make me rethink the setup of the model though.

For the pages with the failed visuals, I could actually pull the date info from the same table as the matrixes pull their data from.

So my problem was solved for now, though I still don't quite understand how it did not work in the first place.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors