Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pedroamaro90
Frequent Visitor

Error when export a direct query report to a PBI dataset using power automate

We have created a PBI report that has a direct query to a PBI dataset (this dataset has a connection to Azure SQL Database) and when we try to export it in PDF format using Power Automate we are getting an error. The report only has a table visual with a column:

pedroamaro90_9-1663756266301.png

I should have this output (if I do the export directly in Power Bu Service, it works fine):

pedroamaro90_8-1663756256583.png

Did anyone have the same issue and was able to get a solution?

Below it is described the steps followed:

1 - Set the following preview features that allows to directquery a PBI dataset:

pedroamaro90_1-1663755239704.png

2 - Connect to a PBI Dataset

pedroamaro90_2-1663755329857.png

3 - Click on the "Make changes to this model" option, add a local model and select all the tables available in the PBI dataset:

pedroamaro90_3-1663755403881.png

pedroamaro90_4-1663755445184.png

4 - Create a visual by selecting any field

5 - Save the report and publish it into a Premium Workspace

6 - Create a power automate flow that exports the report and send it by email:

pedroamaro90_5-1663755683066.png

pedroamaro90_6-1663755859812.png

The final result is always the same...

pedroamaro90_9-1663756266301.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @pedroamaro90 I was able to reproduce this issue and we have deployed a fix which should be deployed to you in the next week or so. Basically the export to PDF was broken for the following scenarios:
- exporting to PDF using the Service UI for a report that has a DQ connection to a source such as Azure SQL

- exporting to PDF using the Service UI for a report that has a DQ connection to a Power BI dataset (composite on Power BI datasets)

- exporting to PDF using Power Automate for a report in a Premium workspace that has a DQ conneciton to a Power BI dataset (composite on Power BI datasets). This is your scenario.

Please check this again in a week. If the issue still persists, let me know.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
MIK_CPL
Frequent Visitor

Hello @jeroenterheerdt ,

I have a similar issue as @pedroamaro90  but my case is connected to exporting the report to png file.
I've got 2 reports connected to one dataset. However, one of the report is also connected via direct query to another data source.

When it comes to exporting in P.Automate and putting it into Send Via Email V2 method, the first report works well, but the one with Direct Query not > I receive empty visuals with the message can't display the visual'.

Could u please assist?

StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

what licence type you have? some flows need to the report be a primium capacity o per user llicence or the flow itself depending in the combination. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

I have Pro license and I didn't have any issues before on creating these kind of flows. This error only comes up when I'm using a report created on top of a composite model (direct query to a PBI Dataset).

since you are Pro, can you please confirm that the account you use to generate the PDF has build permissions on the dataset?

Hi @jeroenterheerdt, the account used has Admin permissions in the Premium Workspace where the Dataset is published.

Hi @pedroamaro90 I was able to reproduce this issue and we have deployed a fix which should be deployed to you in the next week or so. Basically the export to PDF was broken for the following scenarios:
- exporting to PDF using the Service UI for a report that has a DQ connection to a source such as Azure SQL

- exporting to PDF using the Service UI for a report that has a DQ connection to a Power BI dataset (composite on Power BI datasets)

- exporting to PDF using Power Automate for a report in a Premium workspace that has a DQ conneciton to a Power BI dataset (composite on Power BI datasets). This is your scenario.

Please check this again in a week. If the issue still persists, let me know.

Hi there - seeing similar behaviour for PNG exports connected to Power BI dataset. Was the fix solely for PDF exports?

ahwag_0-1708450293287.pngahwag_1-1708450334278.png

Hi @jeroenterheerdt ,
I am encoutenring exactly this issue on a flow I am creating today. This is the third scenario you listed (with the symptoms described by the OP) 
 exporting to PDF using Power Automate for a report in a Premium workspace that has a DQ conneciton to a Power BI dataset (composite on Power BI datasets)

Can we expect a working fix on this?
Thanks for your help

can you please open a new issue so we can get more eyes on this? 

Hey @jeroenterheerdt 

Encountering the same issue, have a fix been deployed?

yes, that was deployed. please open another issue if it still persists so we can investigate. thank you!

Hi @jeroenterheerdt , thank you for your fast answer. I will test it again in a week and get back to you with my feedback.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors