Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

hectormolinero
Frequent Visitor

Error when embedding a report with a DirectQuery connection to a Power BI dataset

Hi all,

I'm trying to use Power BI Embedded to embed a report containing a DirectQuery connection to a Power BI dataset and I get the following error when viewing the report:

powerbi_error.png

The lineage view is the following:

powerbi_lineage.png

I'm obtaining the embedded token by sending the following JSON to the GenerateToken endpoint:

{
  "datasets": [
    { "id": "XXXXXXXX-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" },
    { "id": "YYYYYYYY-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" }
  ],
  "reports": [
    { "id": "ZZZZZZZZ-0000-0000-0000-000000000000", "allowEdit": false }
  ],
  "identities": [
    {
      "datasets": ["XXXXXXXX-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"],
      "username": "example",
      "roles": ["example"]
    }
  ]
}

After some research I've found that using Power BI Embedded with datasets that include a DirectQuery connection to a Power BI dataset or Azure Analysis Services model is not currently supported.

I would like to know if this is indeed the problem I'm experiencing and if so, if and when this feature is planned to be added.

Best regards,

Héctor.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @hectormolinero 

As of now, using Power BI Embedded with datasets that include a DirectQuery connection to a Power BI datasets or Azure Analysis Services model is not yet supported.  PowerBI team plan to support this as soon as possible and not sure about the ETA. You can refer to  2021 release wave 1 plan .

The functionality "DirectQuery for PBI datasets and AS" is currently in preview. If you have any other questions about the Preview feature , feel free to leave feedback at this Power BI Community forum post .

You can also  subscribe to the Power BI Blog. PowerBI team will mention it in the monthly blog and update the dedicated blog and docs as well.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @hectormolinero 

As of now, using Power BI Embedded with datasets that include a DirectQuery connection to a Power BI datasets or Azure Analysis Services model is not yet supported.  PowerBI team plan to support this as soon as possible and not sure about the ETA. You can refer to  2021 release wave 1 plan .

The functionality "DirectQuery for PBI datasets and AS" is currently in preview. If you have any other questions about the Preview feature , feel free to leave feedback at this Power BI Community forum post .

You can also  subscribe to the Power BI Blog. PowerBI team will mention it in the monthly blog and update the dedicated blog and docs as well.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

@v-easonf-msft, does this limitation also apply in cases where the embedding is happening using Power BI Premium with a P1 SKU?!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors