Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

HannahC
Frequent Visitor

Error when connecting to report that uses DirectQuery to SQL Server

Hi,

Newbie here 🙂

I published a report that uses DirectQuery to SQL Server. I have the personal mode gateway installed. The report looks fine on my desktop, but online I'm getting the error 'This data source can't be accessed by a data gateway' and then in the report holder I get 'Can't display the visual' with the below details

'Couldn't load the data for this visual

Your data gateway (Power BI – personal) is offline, but a data gateway is available.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Error CodeDMTS_NoGatewayWithAllDatasourcesToBindError
Server'MyServer'
Correlation IDbdb5b245-dcf2-1936-d3a1-12e0b08a095a
Database 'MyDatabase'
ConnectionType{FieldValue}
Activity IDa61ee590-4f7c-446d-ba9c-6eacdbdc6037
Request ID5fddce3e-5c1e-f6b4-6d1d-4ee335f060e7
TimeWed Jun 14 2017 09:45:07 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
Version13.0.1700.2465

Please can you help? Is it possible this is a permissions issue?

Thanks in advance!

Hannah

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@HannahC

Please use on-premises data gateway instead of personal mode of on-premises data gateway. For data sources other than Azure SQL Database or Azure SQL Data Warehouse that use DirectQuery, and Enterprise Gateway must be installed and the data source must be registered to establish a data connection.

If you are using import mode to SQL Server, you can use personal mode of on-premises data gateway.

Please refer to following Matrix. Reference: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/.

For how to use on-premises gateway, you can refer to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-enterprise-manage-sql/.

Error when connecting to report that uses DirectQuery to SQL Server_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pbiuser67

Underlying Error: PowerBI service client received error HTTP response. HttpStatus: 400. PowerBIErrorCode: DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_BadUsernameFormat
Activity ID: e8bbd214-627a-40fe-a38a-f840409f349f
Correlation ID: f512dd3d-5b2c-1ae5-461d-b633a824505b
Request ID: 930fcca8-6a6e-eb1a-2dfd-65fb97a894b9
Time: Tue May 09 2023 21:45:24 GMT+0530 (India Standard Time)
Service version: 13.0.20626.62
Client version: 2305.1.13619-train
Cluster URI: https://wabi-uk-south-b-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

HannahC
Frequent Visitor

Hi!

Newbie here so let me know if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I published a DirectQuery to SQL Server report and when I try to look at the report online (in my workspace) it throws an error at the top saying 'This data source can't be access by a data gateway' and within the report holder it says 'Can't display the visual', details given are below:

'Couldn't load the data for this visual

Your data gateway (Power BI – personal) is offline, but a data gateway is available.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Error CodeDMTS_NoGatewayWithAllDatasourcesToBindError
Server 'MyServer'
Correlation IDbee088a6-a2b4-a5a4-e5c1-0c16c0f759d5
Database 'MyDatabase'
ConnectionType{FieldValue}
Activity ID19abd514-afe3-42cb-a1eb-dc9ada011bec
Request IDf283fd75-75cb-1c4d-3602-79621201617f
TimeTue Jun 13 2017 17:08:46 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
Version13.0.1700.2465

Please help as I would have assumed SQL Server could connect via the gateway? Is this a permissions issue?

Thanks,

Hannah

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@HannahC

Please use on-premises data gateway instead of personal mode of on-premises data gateway. For data sources other than Azure SQL Database or Azure SQL Data Warehouse that use DirectQuery, and Enterprise Gateway must be installed and the data source must be registered to establish a data connection.

If you are using import mode to SQL Server, you can use personal mode of on-premises data gateway.

Please refer to following Matrix. Reference: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/.

For how to use on-premises gateway, you can refer to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-enterprise-manage-sql/.

Error when connecting to report that uses DirectQuery to SQL Server_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Hi Herbert,

Thanks very much for this.

I was getting errors trying to download the non-personal mode, but I can ask IT to try again.

Thanks,

Hannah

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors