Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error updating Power BI Service dataset from SQL table through Direct Query

I created a Power BI Desktop report using SQL Server table with a direct query data connection and then I brought it in Power BI Service choosing planned update every 15 minutes. When my PC is on it works fine, but when I switch it off and then turn it on the following morning, I see my dataset (and so my report and my dashboard too) didn't update during the night and I gain the warning message next to the dataset:

An unknown error occurred. Try again. If the problem persists, contact support. Try later or contact support providing following information. (I don't see anything else).

If I open my dashboard, I see warning message next to every graph:

It hasn't been possible to recover data for this graph. Try again later. Try again later or contact support specifying the following information:

Immagine.png

I turn my PC off at 6 p.m. and switch it on at 9 a.m. the following morning. I always see last update made at about 6.30 p.m. and the next one planned for about 1 p.m. (I planned updates every 15 minutes). However, at 1 p.m. it updates fine, and if I change update frequency, for example turning it to 30 minutes or changing it and then taking it back to 15, I works fine and the planned time is taken at 15 minutes later that moment and not at about 1 p.m. anymore.

Why does it work this strange way? Am I missing something?

Thank you very much

4 REPLIES 4
quentin_vigne
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

Where did you install your gateway? On the server or on your computer ? 

If it is on your computer it is normal that the refresh stop, because the gateway need to be installed on a place that does not stop.

- Quentin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Quentin. I am almost sure I installed it on my computer. How can I be sure of it? And how could I install it on the server? Can I do it now? Anyway, I don't understand why it updates 4 hours later than the time I swtich my PC on.

@Anonymous

When you turn your computer off, the gateway is off. When you turn it on, it goes back online.

Do you have the personal gateway or the on-premise one ?

- Quentin

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have it on my PC, I installed it here.

When I turn my PC on, why doesn't it update 15 minutes later instead of 4 hours?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors