Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error updating Power BI Service dataset from SQL table through Direct Query

I created a Power BI Desktop report using SQL Server table with a direct query data connection and then I brought it in Power BI Service choosing planned update every 15 minutes. When my PC is on it works fine, but when I switch it off and then turn it on the following morning, I see my dataset (and so my report and my dashboard too) didn't update during the night and I gain the warning message next to the dataset:

An unknown error occurred. Try again. If the problem persists, contact support. Try later or contact support providing following information. (I don't see anything else).

If I open my dashboard, I see warning message next to every graph:

It hasn't been possible to recover data for this graph. Try again later. Try again later or contact support specifying the following information:

Immagine.png

I turn my PC off at 6 p.m. and switch it on at 9 a.m. the following morning. I always see last update made at about 6.30 p.m. and the next one planned for about 1 p.m. (I planned updates every 15 minutes). However, at 1 p.m. it updates fine, and if I change update frequency, for example turning it to 30 minutes or changing it and then taking it back to 15, I works fine and the planned time is taken at 15 minutes later that moment and not at about 1 p.m. anymore.

Why does it work this strange way? Am I missing something?

Thank you very much

4 REPLIES 4
quentin_vigne
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

Where did you install your gateway? On the server or on your computer ? 

If it is on your computer it is normal that the refresh stop, because the gateway need to be installed on a place that does not stop.

- Quentin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Quentin. I am almost sure I installed it on my computer. How can I be sure of it? And how could I install it on the server? Can I do it now? Anyway, I don't understand why it updates 4 hours later than the time I swtich my PC on.

@Anonymous

When you turn your computer off, the gateway is off. When you turn it on, it goes back online.

Do you have the personal gateway or the on-premise one ?

- Quentin

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have it on my PC, I installed it here.

When I turn my PC on, why doesn't it update 15 minutes later instead of 4 hours?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors