Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Enigma
Helper III
Helper III

Error "Data refresh took too long to complete"

Since the past week I am facing issues with date refresh on my report. I had a scheduled refresh set for twice a day and since the last week it has failed many times. Today, the scheduled refresh was disabled after it failed for four consecutive times. The below error is shown

The refresh operation failed because it took too long to complete. Consider reducing the size of your dataset or breaking it up into smaller datasets.

The same happens when I refresh manually from the Service as well.
These failures have started since the last week. The refreshes have been running since almost a year. There have been no changes to the queryies, tables structure, schema or code. 

The size of my dataset is merely 3MB. Data sources are couple of Excel files and one SharePoint list. The files have ~17k rows in total and the list has ~30k rows. To me it doesn't look like a large dataset and I am not sure is the time out caused by the size or complexity.
I have a Pro license.

From the Desktop when I click Refresh, the excel data gets loaded instantly, but the SharePoint data takes close to 30 minutes to load

Enigma_0-1669223223857.png

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Enigma 

You can use Power Query Diagnostics to look further into this

Power BI Query Performance & Query Diagnostics – Paul Turley's SQL Server BI Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Enigma 

What I would suggest doing is to see if you can reduce the steps when getting the data from SharePoint?

Or if you can seperate the data etc to run quicker and easier.

Power BI Blog

The steps are already reduced to the optimum. Not sure if I can further bring it down. 
Do you think the size of the dataset is an issue though?

Also, I was trying to setup an incremental refresh but am getting the below warning

Enigma_0-1669286813398.png

The link given asks to run Power Query Diagnostics, but I am not sure how to read the diagnostic report.

Hi @Enigma 

Even though you get that warning it can sometimes still do the incremental refreshing. So I would give it a try and see if it works?

Power BI Blog

Yes, I went ahead with the Incremental Refresh despite the warning.

But it did not work. The refresh failed with the same message "The refresh operation failed because it took too long to complete. Consider reducing the size of your dataset or breaking it up into smaller datasets."

I am sure the root cause lies with the pulling of the SharePoint list data. But can't pin point it at the moment. Are there any plug-ins/tools that will indicate which step is taking more time?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors