Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nekalycam
Frequent Visitor

Error on scheduled refresh: "The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface."

I have a report that has been failing on its scheduled refreshes for about a week now.  I'm importing the data into my report from SQL Server and publishing it to a premium workspace where it is on an incremental refresh that processes once daily around midnight.  Data is hosted on Azure so there is no on-prem gateway required.  I get the following error: "Microsoft SQL: Unspecified error. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface".  I have verified that the credentials are correct (both on desktop and on the web service), I have all of my queries coming from the same data source that is listed once under my Data Source Settings pane with all correct spelling and matching cases, I have checked the Advanced Editor to confirm all queries are structured the same, I did all filtering in Power Query on indexed columns, and I even tried publishing the same PBIX file to two new workspaces: the refresh works on one and fails on the other.  We are using Power BI embedded so I need it to be successful on one specific workspace, where it's currently failing.

I can refresh on the desktop app locally just fine--it's a bit slow, but always has been as my largest query has around 6M rows.  What's odd to me is that my scheduled refresh will spin for 9+ hours until we finally have to kill the process on the back end.  I set the command timeout to 45 minutes on the desktop but I guess that does not carry over to the web service?

Does anyone have any tips on what else I can do to troubleshoot?  Most of my research points to an issue with the credentials, but these have not changed and if that were the issue I wouldn't be seeing any successful refreshes at all.  All my theories have been busted so far, any help would be much appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors