Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bgeels1
Frequent Visitor

Error on Refresh in Power BI Service, not on desktop

Hello,

I am getting the same error repeatedly when one of my PBI reports refreshes in the Power BI service. The same PBI report refreshes fine in the Desktop Version. The error is attached below.  I am having a hard time isolating the issue.  There are three datasources in the PBI report:

1. QuickBooks Online connection

2. API connection to Monday.com

3. Excel worksheet located on my local machine

Based on the error, it appears that the error is related to the QuickBook Online connection, but there isn't much there to tell me what to change to have it start working again. For context, the same model was setup on auto refresh and was working fine until about mid-June.  I have been getting this error for about a month and I don't know how to fix it. 

I have tried: (1) updating the Privacy Level to Organizational, (2) reinstalling the Gateway, (3) refreshing the authentication credentials. None of these solutions worked. 

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you!

bgeels1_0-1625664202968.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bgeels1
Frequent Visitor

For me, we realized that the QuickBooks Online driver does not support having an On Prem data source (I had an additional data source that was an excel file on my local machine). This error went away when I moved the excel file to a SharePoint datasource. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Mahendrachowdar

I am also getting the same error repeatedly when one of my PBI reports refreshes in the Power BI service. The same PBI report refreshes fine in the Desktop Version.  I having a hard time isolating the issue. The data source is Salesforce

rsovitzky
Frequent Visitor

I encountered the same issue: not being able to use the QBO connector on a Gateway until I followed the steps outlined in the prior post.

11-05-2021 08:16 PM

I encountered this myself. The fix was to download your own Simba QuickBooks ODBC driver, then get the missing file from that driver, paste it into the provided path, and restart the Gateway

bgeels1
Frequent Visitor

For me, we realized that the QuickBooks Online driver does not support having an On Prem data source (I had an additional data source that was an excel file on my local machine). This error went away when I moved the excel file to a SharePoint datasource. 

powerbiTF
Regular Visitor

I encountered this myself. The fix was to download your own Simba QuickBooks ODBC driver, then get the missing file from that driver, paste it into the provided path, and restart the Gateway

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

I would look at the documentation for QuickBooks and where it installs the file to.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

how do you know it's QuickBooks installing the file there? It looks like a Microsoft file path to me. if you search for the file "QuickBooksODBC.mdef" on Google, there isn't anything that comes up.  

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @bgeels1 

From the error screen it appears that it has to do with the configuration file for Quickbooks.

If you could check if something has changed with Quickbooks and their config file?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ 

If I navigate to the file location (from the error message) on my disk, I am able to get there, but there is no QuickBooksODBC.mdef file there.  Perhaps the absense of this file is what is causing the error?

This looks like a Microsoft file location as opposed to QuickBooks file location (see the file path, its inside a Microsoft folder).

Any idea how you one would fix this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors