Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error in first incremental refresh in powerBI.com (DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_TimeoutError)

Hello,

I got this error in the first incremental refresh, can you help me out, what timeout is that?

{"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_TimeoutError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_TimeoutError","parameters":{},"details":[],"exceptionCulprit":1}}}

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
setis
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

@Anonymous , 

I've had the exact same error for some time now. 

I have the both command timeout mentioned in the thread on all my tables but I'm still getting the same error. 

Have you managed to resolve it?

Thanks! 

Hi there

Without the error details it is hard to understand why this is happening?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

My error happens intermittently on a report with incremental refresh and in another one without it. 

The error is always 

Data source error:	{"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_TimeoutError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_TimeoutError","parameters":{},"details":[],"exceptionCulprit":1}}}

The "funny" thing is that sometimes works and sometimes don't 

errorgtw.PNG

I have placed on all my tables the following, but as you can see the timeout error is confusing, since it happens after 1 minute

gtw2.PNG

The privacy levels are set both in the file and in the gateway as "organizational" and I've disabled parallel download on tables just in case the issue is due to the gateway cpu capacity.

I don't really know what to do anymore.  

When I refresh on desktop, it runs without problems. 

I have an open ticket with MS support and I'm waiting for an answer, but I thought that somebody might have had the same issue. 

platar
Frequent Visitor

We just experienced the same timeout error.

The service account associated with the data gateway server had the DNS entry for its internet proxy deleted.  The proxy was configured for only that user.  Our sysadmin removed the obsolete DNS entry and added the proxy server IP address, and restarted the service.  All is good.  I can refresh datasets without the timeout occurring.

HTH

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi platar,

I am interested in this solution, can explain me better how to set up the poxy DNS, we have screenshot with this,

Thanks,

The proxy server listed in Internet options was incorrect on the server dedicated to hosting our data gateway.  We merely replaced the obsolete DNS entry for the proxy server with the correct IP address.

image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous ,

Was this issue resolved?

@setis did you hear anything from the support team?

would like to know the solutions.

Thanks,

LuukasP
Frequent Visitor

I have the same error!

I'm just connecting to a sql database and a table, with just the "import"-function.

The gateway is connected correctly...

And my table just takes 3 sec to run!

what the hell happens?

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

I'd like to suggest you increase the CommandTimeout and the ConnectionTimeout parameters to two hours to see if it works. The default value for ComandTimeout is ten minutes and the default value for ConnectionTimeout is driver-dependent. You may go to Power Query to modify them.

You may try the following code in advanced editor to set CommandTimeout and ConnectionTimeout.

b1.png

For further information, please refer the document .

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello 
Thank you for your answer,

I use a query with a Hana connection, I can't support more than 2 parameters.TimeOutHana.PNG

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

That appears to be a timeout from your Gateway to your datasource?

Can you make sure that your gateway server can access the data source?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

yes the gateway access to the data source works,

I have the same report that works in full refresh, but incrementally it doesn't work for the first refresh in powerBI.com.

Thanks,

Hi there

I would suggest chatting to your DBA to see how you can speed up either the connection to the database or the query returning data from the database?

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors