Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

S_M
Helper III
Helper III

Error in dataset when publishing from pbix

Hi everyone,

I have noted that today people have faced some issues with the power-bi service so i am not sure if this is entirely related. 

When publishing from my pbix model, the sign marking 'publishing' in process goes on a loop - it does not give me an error/success even after an hour. However, on the power bi service i note that the 'last refresh' gets updated, and the data loaded is partially refreshed. I also see a sign against my dataset denoting that 'there was an error with my dataset'. It is frustrating as i have been trying to publish for the past couple of hours but have faced the same issue over again. Any idea why this may happen ? 

I have also faced the same issue a couple of times in the past but it either resolved on its own in a few hours, or i had to republish an older model with the same dataset name or sign-in/sign-out of my account. Any idea why this happens or how it can be resolved ? 

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@S_M You could always see if it's the PBIX file. Save it as a different file name and try to publish it. Worst case, you rebuild the dashboard and re-share...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@S_M Hmmm. They just pushed a Desktop update to add some functionality... Maybe try to get the latest version and try again? Otherwise, I do have older versions if you want to back up to a previous version. I could share a one drive location with those.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer, I am currently using 2.38.4491.282 64-bit (August 2016) - has there been an update since ?

If so, yes, i will do that else back up to an older version, if you could share it 🙂 

Thanks alot!

@S_M Blog just came out today that they updated the inline drill down feature. You can get the latest from your Power BI Service.

New version is 2.38.4491.642

If that doesn't work and you want to back out to some other version, let me know, I have them all.

edit: include blog link

@Seth_C_Bauer, tried it with an updated version however this time, it gave me an error :

(FailedToRefreshPackageAfterImportError). 

I think it may be related to the PowerBI service. Can i replace the dataset online on the service ? Will it delete all the dashboards/reports created online ? 

Edit: I actually published another dataset and it published right away. I think it is a problem with this specific dataset, however i have made no changes to it in the past few days, so i am not sure what may be causing this 

@S_M You could always see if it's the PBIX file. Save it as a different file name and try to publish it. Worst case, you rebuild the dashboard and re-share...

That worked! 

I renamed the dataset online and the pbix and the publishing ran just fine - this way, i didnt even have to re-create the underlying dashboards & reports. I cant believe this was such a straightforward solution

Thank you SO much for your help! 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors