Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

errorssuck
Frequent Visitor

Error: Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed.

Hello,

I am trying to create a gateway do connect to an on-prem SQL server 2012 DB via DirectQuery and the gateway was setup succesfully on the server. Now I am trying to create a datasource and it keeps throwing me this error:

"Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed."

Note: When I downloaded the Gateway installer and tried to install on the server, the application PowerBIGatewayInstall.exe kept crashing as soon as I double click on it and after a lot of digging, I found out that the issue was because .NET framework 4.5 wasn't installed and I installed it and everything went well after that.

Not sure what is holding up the datasource from being created.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PowerBI Gateway Error

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
errorssuck
Frequent Visitor

Solved for it.!

I have re-installed .NET framework and restarted the server and tried creating the data source and this time the error changed and it was saying something in the lines of there is an extra DbProviderFactories and from a quick web search I found this link that we need to edit the machine.config file to remove the extra entry of DbProviderFactories and I did the same and restarted the server and it worked like charm.

Here is what I removed from the machine.config file.

Hope this helps anyone who faces similar issues.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ratercero
Helper III
Helper III

Same thing happened to me, uninstalled Framework and reintalled it.

Easy Fix.

RT

errorssuck
Frequent Visitor

Solved for it.!

I have re-installed .NET framework and restarted the server and tried creating the data source and this time the error changed and it was saying something in the lines of there is an extra DbProviderFactories and from a quick web search I found this link that we need to edit the machine.config file to remove the extra entry of DbProviderFactories and I did the same and restarted the server and it worked like charm.

Here is what I removed from the machine.config file.

Hope this helps anyone who faces similar issues.

I have faced same issue . Unfortunately, making changes in machine.config.default file did not fix the issue. 

what fixed the issue is installing an ODAC client. I have Oracle Client 12c when the error occurred. I have installed ODAC122010_x64 (64-bit) and ODTwithODAC122010 (32-bit) in two different home, restarted the gateway and the report worked fine. 

I am sharing as this might help with someone if they still face the issue even after updating the config file. After ODAC installation I have reverted the changes in config file.

@errorssuck

Thanks for sharing the solution. Could you please mark your answer as solution to close this thread?

Best Regards,

Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors