Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error: The report doesn't exist or you don't have permission to view it

Hi

Since monday morning we have not been able to get our dashboards working. I get an error for every dashboard tile we have added but I cannot see any reason for this to happen. They have been working fine since like 5 months, nothing has changed with the reports the dashboards points to (these reports do exists, just as they did sunday evening).

I have tried to remedy the situation by deleteting a dashboard tile and readding it. This results in the tile showing up as being functional for a short time (say 2-3 minutes) before displaying the same error as before.

As it turns out we have had massive problems with logging into powerBI due to the MFA-login debacle that occured this monday. Is there anyone else who has experienced similar problems?

I am at a loss to what I should do?

If i delete a tile and readd it (which is quite cumbersome for like 30 dashboard tiles with titles etc...) and the problem still persists, what could resolve it? Reuploading the reports? Recreate the workspace?

It should be noted that our refresh task for our dataset still functions as expected, it pulls data from a Azure SQL database and some excel files.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Small update - I was in contact with Microsoft support about the issue. I don't know what they did explicitly but some time after they did "something" there was an improvement. I can still occasionally experience stale visuals but after refreshing the dashboards, everything works.

Thus I cannot say that this problem bothers me much anymore.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

I did some further testing.

As mentioned earlier, our workspace has one main report (pbix-file) with its dataset, let’s call it the master report. Then I have several dependent “slave” reports.

In my newly created workspace, I pinned visuals to 4 dashboards in different fashions. I call my dashboards “Main 1”, “Main 2”, “Slave 1” and “Slave 2”. I pin a visual to each of these dashboards.

• Visual from master report pinned to “Main 1” -> no problem
  • Visual from master report pinned to “Main 2” -> no problem
  • Visual from slave report pinned to “Slave 1” -> problem occurs
  • Visual from slave report pinned to “Slave 2” -> problem occurs

My thinking is now that something has changed with access rules when you connect a report to a already existing dataset in PowerBI service and that this is causing the issue. The conclusion is also that it seems to be unrelated to the MFA-login trouble.

Some additional testing has more or less convinced me that this problem is due to some recent change to the PowerBI Service. Mayhap it is related to the introduction to dataflows but I only noticed it after 2018-11-19.

I created a very simple PBIX-file with some dummy-data and uploaded it as a "Master report". This report has only data that is imported from a local excelfile så no database connections or similar. I then create a "slave report" and connect it to my already uploaded dataset in the "Master report".

I then pin visuals from these two reports in PowerBI service and I cannot get the pinned visuals from the Master report to stop functioning while pinned visuals from the slave report always do (unless i specifically refresh the dashboard the visual is pinned to, which breaks the visuals on all the other dashboards).

Small update - I was in contact with Microsoft support about the issue. I don't know what they did explicitly but some time after they did "something" there was an improvement. I can still occasionally experience stale visuals but after refreshing the dashboards, everything works.

Thus I cannot say that this problem bothers me much anymore.

I am also getting this problem currently. Keep having to repin report pages which is a pain. When I press the header in the dashboard it takes me directly to the page???

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having similar issues to yourself.

In my case it is with all dashboards and all tiles on the dashboards.
I have also found that I am unable to duplicate a dashboard, even a blank one which makes me think it is an internal issue

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MagnusRosenPBI,

I was not able to reproduce such a problem on my side. I would suggest you create a support ticket for further analysis.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I already did this. This resulted in a troubleshoot session that was somewhat fruitful. The problem though is that I am not able to share our production environment freely (screenshots, fiddler trace etc). Thus I am not able to supply MS support with all data that they want.

I did do one thing today. I created a new workspace, downloaded the main pbix-file (+ one of the dependent reports) and uploaded it to the new workspace. Then i created 2 dashboards connected to these reports and the exact problem occurs.

I am thus pretty certain that this is not something related to my specific production-workspace. I am also pretty certain that the problem is not related to the MFA-login problem, since it seems to be resolved by now. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem ...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors