Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

motoray
Helper V
Helper V

Error: The key didn't match any rows in the table when refreshing a dataset based on a dataflow

I've created a dataset based on a dataflow in a workspace. I'm an admin in that workspace. I've published the dataset to another workspace where I'm an admin. When I try to refresh the dataset, I get "The key didn't match any rows in the table." This used to work for me and has suddenly stopped working. I was briefly able to get it to work again by uninstalling and reinstalling Power BI Desktop, but now that doesn't work. I've even removed my profile and rebuilt it on my computer and get the same problem. I've also tried this on another computer with the same results. A co-worker with all the same permissions does not have this issue leading me to belive it's a problem with my account. Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

Try again after selecting "Use my default web browser" in Power BI Desktop under Options > Security:

otravers_0-1656527319162.png

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

You need to reauthenticate against the dataflow:

https://www.oliviertravers.com/using-dataflows-from-multiple-tenants-in-power-bi-desktop/

BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

And how exactly does one go about reauthenticating with the data flow?

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

Read the blog post I linked.

Gotcha thanks--there are so many auto-generated links here that I missed it the first time.

That's what I was afraid of though. When I do that, the window flashes to reauthenticate and then disappears and I'm never able to authenticate again. That's what lead me to uninstall, reinstall and finally to delete the whole profile. Do you know if there's a spot somewhere in Windows where the credentials are stored that I could manually delete them? 

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

Try again after selecting "Use my default web browser" in Power BI Desktop under Options > Security:

otravers_0-1656527319162.png

So apparently that setting doesn't exist for Power BI Desktop RS--which is what we use. I tried it in the store version of Power BI Desktop and it does indeed force the authentication page to pull up in my browser instead of whatever that other window is and then it works. Since we have a Power BI Report Server, we usually stay on PBI Desktop RS so that all reports work everywhere. I don't suppose you know of a way to make a change like that globally instead of in PBI Desktop?

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

I haven't used Power BI RS in a long time, and no I don't have a global solution for you.

If memory serves, you should be able to do your dev in regular Power BI Desktop then reimport the PBIX in the Desktop RS version, provided you don't use the newest features from regular Desktop that are not in the RS version yet.

Yeah--may just have to go that route. You've been a big help here. I'll go back and mark your post as a solution.

If you're on LinkedIn, let me know and I'll give you a shout-out there.

Thank you!

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

You're welcome! Here's my LI:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/oliviertravers/

So I did end up needing to do one other thing to get it to work in Power BI Desktop RS--clear all the saved credentials in my browser. Now it's working both places. Wouldn't have got there without you though.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors