Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Blackjack
Frequent Visitor

Error 'Couldn't load the data for this visual' w/ Measures from DirectQuery for SAP BW BEX Query

Greetings, 

I'm having trouble loading my report measures when using DirectQuery for SAP BW on Power BI cloud service.
Here is the error message:

"Couldn't load the data for this visual

MdxScript(Model) (5, 42) Cannot find data source '' in function 'EXTERNALEXPRESSION'.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity IDba46f5a8-2e0e-40a5-99c8-3849f2baaaab
Request IDec00dc39-9f95-5c3c-e6ee-5e4e95fb06aa
Correlation ID0c939e55-b820-03e1-3024-c14d1d51cb13
Version13.0.1781.239"

Some facts: 

- I'm loading dimensions and measures (key figures) from SAP BW Query perfectly well in Power BI Desktop;

- The issue happens only with Measures on the Power Bi Service after publishing the report;

- Dimensions and Hierarchies are loading seamlessly on Power BI service;  
- The Data Gateway is up and running;
- I've tried to convert the measures into currency format, but to no avail;

Has anyone run into the same problem using DirectQuery (beta) and Data Gateway connecting to a SAP BW Query?

Thanks! 

12 REPLIES 12
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ALL,

There is a feature request, please review and vote it.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will vote for it when (if) I find it. Please can you post the link to feature request.

Hi @Anonymous,

Here is the link:https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15287457-live-directquery-to-sap-bw. I forget to add it in reply above. Sorry for inconvenience.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft, the feature "Live/DirectQuery to SAP BW" from the link you posted was implemented in june. The error I reported in this thread is about an error that is triggered when this featured is used and after only the report with DirectQuery and therefor Data Gateway connection is upload to Power Bi service. The metrics cause the report to throw the error message  "MdxScript(Model) (5, 42) Cannot find data source '' in function 'EXTERNALEXPRESSION'". Note that this error does not happen to any dimensions  nor the same error happens with the metrics when the report is being created in Power BI desktop.

Can you please point out a link where the issue can be officially reported to MSFT, once the option "Send a Frown (Error)" is not available in the error message window to report the technical issue. This seems to be an important issue related to the DirectQuery (beta) that would be worth reporting to the developers. 

Thank you. 
Blackj.

Reported in the Issues area with the following link: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Error-Couldn-t-load-the-data-for-this-visual-w-Measures-from...

Please all, upvote the issue. 

Blackj

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Blackjack,

In your gateway, please confirm if you have added the data resouce? And please try get data from other resouce, add data resouce and publish it to service, check if it works fine. If it won't, many the error is caused by your data gateway.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft (Angelia), 

Data resource in Data Gateway has been setup correctly. I can see all the dimensions from the model, the issue only happens with the measures once the report is published on Power BI Service.

Thank you.

BlackJack  

Hi Guys

I'm also having the same issue, any luck so far .. will appreciate any sort of help.

Rgds

Pankaj

Hi Guys

I'm also having the same issue, any luck so far .. will appreciate any sort of help.

Rgds

Pankaj

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI,

I have the same problem. 

When trying to solve the prolbem I did some:

- upgrade On-Premise Gateway on last version,

- check data source setting on Power BI, test it (test show that everything is OK)

- do the new publishing of report, 

Problem is still here:

... MdxScript(Model) (47, 32) Cannot find data source '' in function 'EXTERNALEXPRESSION'  ....

Any Solutions?

Best Regards!

Neno

Hi All,

There are some limitations in DirectQuery for SAP Business Warehouse (BW). For example, it is not possible to use an aggregate function over a table. More details, please review the limitations in this article. Please check if your report use the corresponding features.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm aware of all limitations, but I can't get any visulization to work when report is published, on Power BI Desktop everthing work more then fine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors