Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

Epiphany! Dashboards not Refreshing In Focus losing numbers/lines

I have made a discovery. I have been struggling for several weeks now with dashboards that do not refresh. I have also had an issue with the new In Focus not displaying actual graphs, lines, or numbers on dashboards. This morning I got frustrated so I re-pinned all of my graphics to one dashboard out of 10. While I don't want to do this every day, twice a day, until the dashboard issue is resolved, I really needed this one to be up to date this morning. Well, my new tiles with current data show appropriately in the In Focus mode so I am making an assumption that the issues may be related. I am now curious if, since I re-pinned the tiles, they will refresh in the future.

I have received no input on this from admins or other users. I guess nobody had an answer so my question just sits there waiting for help. If anybody has solved this, please let me know if I am on the right track.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

12 REPLIES 12
alexmanyonde

Did we ever get a solution?  My dashboards are not refreshing at all.  Remaining static.

My issue was a very simple, easy to overlook issue. I was updating filters. If the data is filtered and you change the data, the visuals on the dashboard do not change. My solution was to switch to using the pin live pages/tiles option. They work perfectly for me.

RonEllisGaut
Advocate I
Advocate I

I too experience the issue with dashboard tiles not refreshing. For me, In Focus mode has no effect.

Can someone in the know please explain what actually happen in the various refresh scenarios below?

Scenario 1: Report data changes as a result of a data source refresh. When/how does the pinned dashboard tile get refreshed?

Scenario 2: A visualization changes (e.g. filter change, or maybe even a change to the style of visualization)

In either scenario, what triggers the dashboard tile update? Is this some sort scheduled event? Does it pole for changes? Is there a trigger event?

I do notice that in some cases my dashboard tiles will update after some time has elapsed (e.g. 30 minutes) from when the report data is refreshed. In other cases, the update does not occur.

Thanks!

My work around has stopped working around. I have sent the Fiddler's trace information to support and am awaiting a solution. I will post here as soon as I hear back from them. Interesting side note, now that the work around has stopped working, the in focus notations are back and show the correct times for data refreshes. The data itself on the dashboard visuals still do not reflect updated numbers.

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

According to the email I received today, the bug fix was uploaded yesterday. I was told to re-pin my visuals though but it is supposed to work moving forward from here.

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

No fix seems to remain a permanent fix. This one lasted until the weekend. Now I have old data on the dashboard again. Funny thing, it shows current refresh date but old numbers. Reports show current numbers. Really frustrating.

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

So, as of today, the new visualizations that I pinned to the group dashboards are both updating and showing lines and columns in the In Focus mode. The numbers are refreshing. They seem to be working fine.

I tried the same work around in my individual dashboards and the InFocus does not show data nor do the visualizations refresh. Still working to solve this issue if anyone has any suggestions.

I am experiencing similar issues in which the in-focus mode will not display any data. I also had to re-pin every item to a NEW dashboard to have the numbers refresh and it has been working just fine.

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

I was able to use the original dashboard in the Group. I may give new Dashboards a try on my personal side. Wow, that's a lot of work . . .

I think this is probably related to one of the main issues that the team is working on.

Basically, when you pin a report to a dashboard, it doesn't (or didn't) refresh, because it made a static copy of the dataset for the user to modify on their own.  I'm pretty sure the BI team at MS is aware of this and working on it.  Maybe they stealth fixed it - and you only have to regenerate the dashboards once?

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

Well, I am not sure about that. When I reported that it stopped refreshing on the dashboards they were genuinely surprised to hear that and requested more data. I have it working with this work around on my own while waiting for permission from my IT guy to download and run Fiddler's Trace by request of the BI team. I received that request Monday.

I know others have mentioned this issue as well but my original post received no replies or suggestions at all from any user. So, i have shared what worked for me in the hopes that it will work for others.

This does not work outside of my group on my own dashboards in My Workspace.

Hmm.  Interesting.  Thanks for the workaround, hopefully they figure out what the issue is.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors