Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Enterprise gateway "cannot connect to the mashup data source"

Hi, everyone,

I'm having trouble trying to migrate my data sources to the enterprise gateway.

The sql server connections have connected with no issues, however, when I try to connect a Mysql database and an excel file, I'm having this following error:

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to \\msjdb\Other_data\DimDate.xlsx. Details: "Cannot connect to the mashup data source. See error details for more information."Hide details
Activity ID:b1981927-e3f7-198a-b1ba-15ba98c77480
Request ID:1763c05f-277e-7bc8-7c74-57b6bc65eb86
Cluster URI:https://wabi-north-europe-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Status code:400
Error Code:DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError
Time:Mon Mar 14 2016 14:54:22 GMT+0200 (FLE Standard Time)
Version:13.0.800.645
Underlying error message:We're sorry, an error occurred during evaluation.
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult:-2147467259
Underlying error code:-2147467259

Any help would be appreciated as the error is not clear to me.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had the same issue and the fix for me was uninstalling the Personal Gateway or the Enterprise Gateway. I had both running and there seems to be a conflict if both programs are installed.

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37

Did you solve the problem? Have the same problem at the moment:/

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had the same issue and the fix for me was uninstalling the Personal Gateway or the Enterprise Gateway. I had both running and there seems to be a conflict if both programs are installed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you please share the steps, and what particular menus you went to, in order to uninstall the Personal or Enterprise Gateway?  I don't know where to start this process, if you can provide steps and menus...thanks.

I had same issue. Didn't occur to me that there could be conflict between two gateways. Thanks echofoxtrot. It releives a lot of pain

dimazaid
Employee
Employee

Thanks for reporting. We'll take a look.
Could you send your Gateway logs to dimazaid@microsoft.com. You can find your logs here: 

C:\Users\PbiEGwService\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Enterprise 

Hey,

I am facing a similar issue sinct the past 3-4 weeks. I tried reaching to power BI Help services but the issue is still not resolved. Can you please help.

Email Ref: geet.chawla@sainsburys.co.uk

Hi All,

Issue to Mashup datasource errors can be related to may items in a given PowerBI deployment scenario. As suggestion please do the following.

1. Uninstall the gateway 

2. Reinstall the latest version of the gateway from here.

3. Follow the instructions from "here" to update the Mashup engine setting on the gateway pipeline-"Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.dll.config

This solution resolve most issues associate to Mashup errors. However you can let me know if there solution did not work for you by providing you some information on your deployment scenario. 

Thank you,

Conarl_On_BI

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Unfortunately, they haven't solved my problem.

I am running the gateway on an AWS virtual machine running Windows Server 2012 R2. My data sources are:

1. Dynamics 365

2. Two different Excel workbooks currently stored in Sharepoint.

3. A web page

Today I uninstalled the on-premises gateway from the virtual machine and reinstalled it. This time, I *only* set up the web page data source to go through the gateway in order to test that Dynamics 365 and Sharepoint/One Drive for Business don't need the gateway, which according to everything I can find, they shouldn't. I figured this would also reduce potential points of failure in the gateway setup. 

When the scheduled refresh time came, though, I still got the Mashup data source error. The underlying error message is:

Power BI

The Web.Page function requires Active Scripting to be enabled in Internet Explorer options. See https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=506565 for details on how to enable Active Scripting.

The only trouble is that Active Scripting IS enabled on IE on this box. This is the same underlying error I had before, so I made sure to enable Active Scripting. The error still happens.

Capture.JPG

Were you able to solve the active acripting issue. I am also facing a similar issue where active scripting is enabled but I am getting an error while trying to refresh

@Anonymous,

From your reply your using multiple datasources to feed a single visualization, I don't believe the gateway at this point has the capability for multiple datasources scenario until Microsoft release the Poly base solution which would give that capability. 

With that said if your intent is to use the gateway for reporting then I a way of troubleshot can you have a sample PBIX file for each datasource in scope published through the gateway to see which one fails or is successful. This would help us eliminate which data source works and which do not then we can concentrate on find a solution for that then combine the datasources.

Also can you confirm if you did a restart of the gateway and the virtual box after my earlier suggestion?

Do you also have a DataSource created in PowerBI service for each associated datasource in your scope against the gateway.

Thank you,

Conarl_On_BI  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I greatly appreciate your help and your persistence, but so far nothing I've tried based on the suggestions here seems to be resolving the problem.

Isn't bringing together multiple data sources one of the primary things Power BI does? If it can't do that we all may as well use Excel workbooks and graphs for everything.  I have accessed other reports via the service that have used multiple data sources. I even set up one that used a personal gateway to access its multiple data sources, and it worked. This is the first time I've tried to use what was called the enterprise gateway and is now called the on-premises gateway, but I have trouble imagining that anything that uses the Power BI service can only have a single data source.

The client has no dashboards in its workspace. They operate off the report itself, which was created in Power BI Desktop (and works absolutely fine over there) and which loads to the service and works fine. It just won't refresh itself, so I am refreshing it in Desktop and republishing it to the service for the client every day.

I completely reinstalled the gateway, so I would imagine that counts as a restart. I also did restart the VM, and I'm still getting the same result.

This is terribly frustrating because it seems to be my web page data source that is the only reason I even need a gateway. In my previous attempts, when this error first appeared, I set up all four data sources through the gateway even though the Dynamics 365 and Sharepoint were optional. It didn't work. Today I set up only the web page data source, and it didn't work that way either. 

In the Data Source Credentials section of the Scheduled Refresh page for the dataset in question, it doesn't show any issue connecting to any of the data sources--and for the web page, it is and should be using anonymous access, as it's a public web page.

If I didn't know that I will need to be able to set up gateways for future projects, I would find some other way to get the data I'm currently scraping from the web page and forget all about this gateway business. But I'm sure I will need to be able to get gateways working, so I would love to get to a solution to this problem that will actually work, and I am rapidly running out of possible things to try. 

@Anonymous

To this question-Isn't bringing together multiple data sources one of the primary things Power BI does? As I said in my earlier post this capability is not available using the gateway at this time, until the release of PolyBase solution from Microsoft. 

You need to understand that an overall understanding of the various scenarios in which you can use an on-premise gateway is critical to the very solution you want to deploy for the client. Note that the primary purpose of the gateway is to ensure that data does not get stored in the cloud but rather on the physical location where the datasource is. With that said if I review your overall approach you have a mixture of on-premise datasource i.e two excels and a web base datasource which in my opinion forfeits that rational behind the purpose of the gateway. 

If the desire is use this web page data through a gateway, then I suggest you reconsider the solution approach in either having that data from the web page moved to an actual physical machine then use that through the gateway.

Note that, you would still have the challenge of combining the this new datasource with the excel something that, at this point PowerBI does not support as per my knowledge.  

Thank you,

Conarl_On_BI

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @dimazaid

The solution for this post didn't work for me. I only have personal gateway installed. Is there any work around?

Thank You

I believe I had the same problem

No se puede conectarHemos detectado un error al intentar conectar con http://orbisolar.com.mx. Detalles: "No se pudo registrar este origen de datos para ninguna instancia de puerta de enlace en este clúster. A continuación encontrará más información sobre los errores específicos de cada instancia de puerta de enlace."Ocultar detalles

Identificador de actividad:2b175acd-e92c-a3ff-488d-6ba8438edfeb
Identificador de la solicitud:ef5bdac6-e4db-689d-453a-7dc16c13b7c1
URI de clúster:https://wabi-south-central-us-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Código de estado:400
Código de error:DMTS_PublishDatasourceToClusterErrorCode
Hora:Tue May 22 2018 18:17:48 GMT-0600 (Hora verano, Montañas (México))
Versión:13.0.5314.162
bi:No se puede conectar con el origen de datos del mashup. Para obtener más información, consulte los detalles del error.
Código de error subyacente:-2147467259
Mensaje de error subyacente:MySQL: Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts.
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult:-2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourceKind:MySql
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourcePath:http://orbisolar.com.mx;tickets
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.ErrorCode:-2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Message:Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts.
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason:DataSource.Error

I have the same issue, did you find a solid solution?.

@dimazaid

BR,
Noa.

Hi dimazaid,

Apologies to jump onto this post but I have the same issue.

Did you manage to get the bottom of this?

I tried the potential solution mentioned below about uninstalling personal gateway and using the enterprice gateway, but it's still saying offline on the Power BI Manage Gateways area when trying to connect to MySQL hosted.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

For me the conflict between gateways was the issue.

Did you make sure none of the data connections are missing from the gateway configuration within Power BI service? Or is it just the single MySQL connection within your report?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors