Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Enterprise gateway error: access to data source is denied

Hi all,

I have a PBI report that loads data from a Folder data source. The folder contains a bunch of HTML files (.html) which contain data in tabular format, and that data is presented visually within the PBIX. The PBIX file is published into PBI Cloud, and the PBI Cloud is connected to our servers using the Enterprise Gateway. 

When I try to refresh this particular report. it is failing with the error Access to the path '\\Fully_Qualified_UNC_Path\File.html' is denied. The '\\Fully_Qualified_UNC_Path' above is the folder which has been used as the data source in PBI Desktop. The user which is used to connect from PBI Cloud to the '\\Fully_Qualified_UNC_Path' is the owner of the actual folder, and has all rights to it. I have got other Excel/CSV which are being loaded into the same PBIX so not sure what's really causing the access denied message in this particular case. 

I have tried with different privacy levels but none of them seem to reslove this.  Within the Gateway, I see a connection successful message.

Any idea what's going on here?

Updated including entries from enterprise gateway log. 

DM.EnterpriseGateway Information: 0 : 2016-12-01T04:03:29.5471010Z DM.EnterpriseGateway 843a1217-6ac9-4e0a-9f66-fedc1b824ef6 a1bc3b99-3e85-e45b-90c1-cbf8b1882d7d MGPP fc331bfe-f9a4-bb8b-0cc1-8a5849e2f211 AE6FB82E [DM.GatewayCore] Async operation 62d2e707-3b55-4b79-a641-ffd4a20665f3 transitioned into Faulted state
DM.EnterpriseGateway Information: 0 : 2016-12-01T04:03:29.5471010Z DM.EnterpriseGateway 843a1217-6ac9-4e0a-9f66-fedc1b824ef6 a1bc3b99-3e85-e45b-90c1-cbf8b1882d7d MGPP fc331bfe-f9a4-bb8b-0cc1-8a5849e2f211 51BA8235 [DM.GatewayCore] Cleaning up 0 outstanding packets for spooled job 62d2e707-3b55-4b79-a641-ffd4a20665f3 for state transition to Faulted
DM.EnterpriseGateway Error: 0 : 2016-12-01T04:03:29.6251020Z DM.EnterpriseGateway 843a1217-6ac9-4e0a-9f66-fedc1b824ef6 a1bc3b99-3e85-e45b-90c1-cbf8b1882d7d MGPP fc331bfe-f9a4-bb8b-0cc1-8a5849e2f211 89A5E0B0 [DM.Pipeline.Common] TaskUtils.DoNotWait error:
System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Diagnostics.MashupDataAccessValueException: Mashup expression evaluation error. Reason: . ---> Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Diagnostics.GatewayPipelineWrapperException: Access to the path '\\Fully_Qualified_UNC_Path\File.html' is denied.
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.GatewayProcessor.<>c__DisplayClassf.<<ExecuteAdoQuery>b__c>d__1a.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Common.Diagnostics.PipelineTelemetryService.<ExecuteInActivity>d__a`1.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.GatewayProcessor.<ExecuteAdoQuery>d__23.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1.GetResult()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.GatewayProcessorDispatcher.<DispatchImpl>d__e.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.GatewayProcessorDispatcher.<>c__DisplayClass3.<<Dispatch>b__1>d__5.MoveNext()

Thanks

Kaz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

I managed to fix it after looking at the file access logs on the machine where PBI Enterprise gateway is installed. At the time of each refresh attempt, in addition to the service level account accessing File.html, the domain computer account was also attempting to access File.html. This attempt by the computer was blocked and for some reason, the original attempt by the service account was also locked.

We have added the the network computer account to the folder and now it works as expected. 

Thanks

Kaz

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a gateway configured to "personal mode" on one machine and another gateway configured to "enterprise?" mode on another.

Data source refreshes reliably on the "personal mode" machine.  fails reliably on the "enterprise mode" gateway.   Checking the enterprise connections shows "connection successful".   I have reloaded the gateway and reinitiated it but have the same error.

error is on a datasource which is a folder full of txt files.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on the above error message, your account doesn’t have permission on this specific file(File.html) . When separately adding a data source under gateway for this File.html file, do you get any errors?

Also please right-click this File.html file, choose Properties, in Security tab, grant “Everyone” Full control permission on this file. Then check if the above error goes away. 

Thanks,

Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

Thanks for the reply. I have done the following 

- When separately adding a data source under gateway for this File.html file - no problems, I get a connection successful message.

- Graning "Everyone" access to the main folder with Full Permission : This actually worked, I was able to refresh the data from PBI Cloud, and I did it after removing the indivually/separately added source to File.html

Now, I am a bit lost, why the original service account with full permissions would get an access denied message, while the everyone user with full permissions is able to get through?

Thanks
Kaz

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

I managed to fix it after looking at the file access logs on the machine where PBI Enterprise gateway is installed. At the time of each refresh attempt, in addition to the service level account accessing File.html, the domain computer account was also attempting to access File.html. This attempt by the computer was blocked and for some reason, the original attempt by the service account was also locked.

We have added the the network computer account to the folder and now it works as expected. 

Thanks

Kaz

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors