I have an ODBC source that I use for several Dashboards. I would like to setup a Gateway in order to keep the data up to date. The source is an IBM DB2 database. (I know that connecting straight to the database would be better than ODBC, but ODBC is my only option)
I am wondering how I set this refesh up. I see the gateway setup prompts for a connection string and I am not sure what I need to include there to make the connection. I have a DSN fully configured on my computer's ODBC Data Source Administrator, but not sure how to format this into a connection string.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Based on your description, you want to add ODBC data source under gateway. In this case, you can input the connection string following the steps below.
1. Check your DSN name(testodbc1 in my scenario) in ODBC administrator or in Power BI Desktop if you have connected to the odbc data source from Power BI desktop.
2. Add data source under gateway by entering connection string , account and password as shown in the following screenshot .
3. Schedule refresh for the dataset in Service.
In addition, please ensure that you create a system dsn in ODBC administrator .
I have a system DSN set up (64-bit) using vertica driver. It works well.
I can easly connect to the DB via Power BI Desktop, however when I try to create a datasource using this DSN in Gateway manager I'm facing following issue:
Can you help me figure out how to define the string correctly?
What should be the connection string format when connecting to Oracle DB?
Ensure that you create a system DSN rather than a user DSN.
This is how it worked for me:
1. local machine and gateway server dns need to be set up the same way, name specifically must be the same, as well as schema, table etc. This will ensure both connection strings are the same
2. the database needs to have a view created for the data you're trying to extract, so you can refer to the view while creating the dashboard in desktop app and create the same source under gateway manager
3. as long as both sources are the same the scehduler will see the gateway source.
I am trying to set my Power BI Gateway and I receive below error. I am able to connect to ODBC from Power BI Desktop.
I have tried to configure ODBC via Manage gateway but have received errors. Appreciate any help.
Please find below error.