Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fsim
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Enterprise Gateway unavailable since last monday, any idea why ? (solved)

Hi !

Here is my issue.

I made a report with the BI desktop using data from an on premise SQL instance. Then I published the repport and set the refresh trough the Enterprise Gateway. Everything worked until two days ago. 

So I checked the EG and everything is fine on the server.

On the Power BI web/manage your gateway/ everything is fine too. The gateway is connected and the status is  "you are good to go"

Anyway, in the schedule refresh setting of my dataset. The "use an enterprise gateway" is now greyed. 

I don't understand why 😕 

I'm using an MSDN power bi enterprise licence (BTW something changed here, I had to assign the licence to my account but it did not fix my issue)

edit: And here is the reason why. among the data source was an imported xls file that didn't need to be update. Of course this file could not be update through the EGW . Anyway it worked fine until last monday. I removed the xls and now I can use the gateway again.  I'm not sure I'm happy with this new (logical) behaviour. I will have to find out a way to get my xls back.

2 REPLIES 2
dimazaid
Employee
Employee

Hi @fsim

Few questions:

If you do test all connections does it show any errors? 

Did you add new data sources on the same gateway or thru that Dataset? 

fsim
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi ! 

No error were returned (from the gateway)  and no datasource were added.

So I built an another report and put it online and that last one worked fine. 

I then edited a copy of the repport that did not work and removed datasrouce by datasource until I found the solution by the end of the day. An xls file among the datasource (that was there for weeks) caused all the trouble. 

why did it worked previously ?

Here is my guess.

Last monday power bi asked me to change my password. On the server where the EGW is installed were  also the personal gateway (but not the xls file) . The change of my password probably prevent the PGW from working and, somehow, had an effect on the repport. That's by best explanation so far.

Now I will need to find how to prevent the xls file to try to update...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors