Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chefe
Helper II
Helper II

Enterprise Gateway insecure by default?!

Hello

In the docs there is the following:

"You can force the gateway to communicate with Azure Service Bus using HTTPS instead of direct TCP. This may have an impact on performance"

So am I right in assuming that any connection from and to the gateway MAY be unencrypted if I don't opt for forcing Https?

And what is the performance penalty?

I do have a requirement from our IT that any traffic need to be encrypted. I would have assumed this was a default nowadays, especially with Microsoft services. Apparently I was wrong? Also and naturally I want to deliver the best performance to my users.

What's your take on this? To be honest I am a bit surprised to not see more frequent posts regarding this reservation of mine.

Cheers

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem
1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @chefe,

First of all, gateway will auto encrypt on sending data, you not need to care about this.

The On-premises data gateway implements data compression, and transport encryption, in all modes.

In addition, I don't think power bi can recognize records/data who encrypted by third party applications/tools.

There encrypted records can't corresponded with original data source stored in power bi report file.

BTW, I think these insecure is means limit of network protocol, it not means these option will discard default encryption.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors