Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BSLATTER
Helper III
Helper III

Enterprise Gateway failed to start randomly

Hey all,

Been running a data gateway (3 nodes in a cluster) for a few months, last updated Dec 2019.

Today all 3 nodes randomly failed to start, when I checked PowerBI Service I got the message that 

<gateway>:The gateway is either offline or could not be reached.

When I remoted onto one of the gateway nodes and tried to open the application window it gave me the error:

The gateway is not running on your computer.

I clicked "Export Logs" and but they seem too big to include in full here, but the error message I saw was important I'm including below.

I then clicked "Retry" and everything connected like normal.

The errors in the log imply it could not reach a certain endpoint - anyone experience this? Wondering if there was an infrastructure glitch or antivirus issue maybe? Any idea on how to check? Nothing has changed on these machines for over a month

Error on ConfiguratorLog:

Starting trace on 1/28/2020 1:07:06 PM UTC
Version: 3000.14.39
UserDomainName: <domain>
UserName: <UN>
MachineName: <server>

EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Initialize EnterpriseGatewayMainViewModel
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : GetConfiguratorStateAsync
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Client is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Client is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0\Client is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0\Client is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319 is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319 is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Exception thrown during GetConfiguration: 'Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClientException: Error retrieving gateway configuration. ---> System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: There was no endpoint listening at net.pipe://localhost/powerbi/gatewayconfiguration/service that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details. ---> System.IO.PipeException: The pipe endpoint 'net.pipe://localhost/powerbi/gatewayconfiguration/service' could not be found on your local machine.
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

2 REPLIES 2
Anmolgan
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

@BSLATTER  Please raise a support ticket using your PRO license.

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @BSLATTER 

Please try restarting the Windows service might allow the communication to be successful. I'd like to suggest you use Fiddler. Fiddler is a free tool from Telerik that monitors HTTP traffic. You can see the back and forth with the Power BI service from the client machine. This traffic list might show errors and other related information.

For further information, you can refer to the following links.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/On-premises-Data-Gateway-Auto-Login-Script-error-while-sign...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors