Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jenb1
Frequent Visitor

Enterprise Gateway connection issues

I have installed an Enterprise Gateway, but when I try to add a SSAS data source, it throws an error with the underlying message of "The REDMOND\user does not have permission to call the Discover method."  Does this mean that I don't have permission to the source?  How do I resolve?  Do I need to have admin rights to the data source?  Or does the Gateway needed to be added somehow?

7 REPLIES 7
smearp
Employee
Employee

Found a resolution :).  Install the Personal Gateway, and refresh your report through that gateway (you can run the Personal and Enterprise gateways on the same computer at the same time)

Anonymous
Not applicable

This only works when you do an import... Is there another way with a live connection?

Annietwo
Frequent Visitor

The enterprise gateway requires admin access for SSAS sources.  For SQL Server DB, it only needs read access.  I'm not sure about other sources. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

So for SSAS cube, it is needed to be an database admin? Because I can refresh the cube in Excel/Power BI Desktop but cannot create the gateway to schedule a refresh.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I refresh automatically a SSAS cube with read only rights only? I'm not from the IT department.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @jenb1

I was wondering if you ever figured this out. If so, what was the resolution? If you could please share it would be highly appreicated. Thanks,

Jose

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jenb1

Firstly, please make sure that you install the latest version of gateway on your machine.

Secondly, what permission do you currently have on the database of SSAS you connect to? Please use SQL Server Management Studio ( SSMS ), connect to SQL Server Analysis Service,  review and augment access privileges to your account. Grant Database Level Admin permisson to your account in SSAS, then check if the error still occurs.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors