Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

chrisbaudo

Enterprise Gateway can't connect to on-premise AS

We reached the enterprise gateway, but the gateway can't access the on-premises data source.  The following system error occurred: A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated.

Thanks,

-Chris

17 REPLIES 17
shinjie
Anonymous
Not applicable

This has already been posted in another thread: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Enterprise-Gateway-can-t-connect-to-on-premise-Analysis-Serv...

However it doesn't seem the problem has been fixed.

I've tried restarting, adding and removing the Enterprice gateway, but no change. 

I can add and connect to the SQL server to the gateway so there is a connection, but SSAS is not working 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just tested with the update to the enterprise gateway of this morning (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-gateway-february-2016-update/), but still no connection to SSAS MD 😞

Is no one from MS really not gonna respond to this??? This feels like a huge let-down for enterprise, and it's very hard to recommend the product to customers when we ourselfs can't get it to work!

I just tried to reproduce the issue, but it appears to be working. Of note, i just installed the latest update for this update.  I'm using a Live Connection and my AS Multidimensional instance version is SQL 2014 SP1 (12.00.4100).  This was going against the AdventureWorks 2014 model.

Seems to be environmental. When do you get the error? is it when setting up the data source under manage gateways? or, is it when trying to run a report using the live connect? Any details you can describe on the configuration would be helpful. 

The account you configured for the data source, is that an Administrator for the AS Instance?

The users that are using the report, does their email address, that they signed into Power BI with, match a UPN for a local Active Directory Account?

Adam W. Saxton | Microsoft Employee | Business Intelligence
@GuyInACube | youtube.com/guyinacube

I am having the same issue while connecting with the oracle data base. When I view the published report from my online power BI account it gives the message "There was a Datasource error please contact the gateway administrator" and after clicking the show details link , "We reached the data gateway, but the gateway can't access the on-premises data source.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Error CodeDM_GWPipeline_Gateway_DataSourceAccessError
Activity IDebe48c4b-98d5-44f5-b0b7-1d9502729ce5
Correlation ID50e3c206-8f3b-a71b-8526-53d37899cc6f
Request ID21198f6e-9a97-d37c-af26-a2d4a664eebb
TimeThu May 11 2017 17:36:11 GMT+0500 (Pakistan Standard Time)
Version13.0.1700.2027

" this message appears

Can you please help to sucesfuly connect my DB with Gateway

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Adam. Thanks for getting back!

I've also installed the latest update, but it still gives the same error. I'll admit I'm not the IT admin, but since I'm a BI developer I've been given most admin rights to get it working. 

As far as I can tell it is a SQL 2014, as the version of both the SQL Server and AS in Management Studio is 12.0.2480.0

My user is server administrator on the AS instance. 

I get the error when I try to add the data source under manage gateway, so it seems the gateway itself is working.

The weird thing is that I can add the SQL Server as a data source, but I get this "DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_DataSourceAccessError" when I try to add the AS... Heres the full error code (not sure if I provide more?):

AS Error.PNG

Right now I'm the only user, since this is for demo purposes atm, but I can succesfully live connect in Power BI Desktop.

I will try to get an answer regarding UPN for Active Directory Account from IT, but the thing that bugs me is that it was working last month! Therefore my thinking is that it's something with the gateway and not changes to our setup, but again I might be wrong about the whole security setup....

Again I really appreciate the help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

I managed to connect the gateway and create a Datasource to my SSAS "on-premise".

I figured quite the same problem, and I think this comes from the user role you used to create this.

When you create a datasource to a SSAS cube, you have to use a account with bigger rights. After this, the user account is passed through the EffectiveUserName property whitch will be check against the AD (UPN is the AD login). So it works if your AD is synchronized with the Azure Active Directory.

Hope it helps

Sebastien

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sebastien, this is great news, it seems it really is something environmental after all. 

Could you specify what you mean by "an account with bigger rights"?

I would hate to have force the IT department to be the ones having to manage the gateway since it is only for testing purposes and we might have to add new ones time and time again... And also it would be nice to know what it really takes since we will be consulting our customers on this. 

As far as I can tell our AD is synchronized with Azure since I use my email and pass to log onto PowerBI.com, and I'm able to setup the gateway for SQL server - or am I missing something?

He is referring to the fact what i mentioned before. The account you provide in the Data Source, when managing the gateway, has to be a server admin for the AS Instance.  This is required so we can use EffectiveUserName. This is not the same as giving admin rights within a role of the database. It is at the server level.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-enterprise-manage-ssas/#add-a-data...

The error you are getting would seem to be a permission issue against the instance for that account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adam - thanks for getting back on this. 

I might be completely in the wrong but I believe I have already done this (my user is DK\chmortensen thta is also used to setup the gateway):

AS Admins.PNG

Am I missing something here?

Yeah that is correct.

I was just able to reproduce DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_DataSourceAccessError. I get that error when the Server name is invalid. Basically "Server does not exist" error. I get it when i put in a bogus name for Server Name.  Can you validate the Server name?  Can you use a UDL to test connectivity from the same machine as the gateway? does the UDL connect successfully? I'm guessing it won't.

I was receiving this error, this post helped me tie it down, our SQL box has a DNS alias, the DB connector through the gateway works just fine with this alternate name, but Analysis Services required the true physical host name.Once I changed the server name to that it started working, Is this a bug in the gateway or is there additional configuration that is required to get SSAS to work with a DNS Alias?  Note that Excel, SSMS and all other tools work fine with the Alias, and one last note is that the gateway is on the same virtual machine as the demo DB we are doing our proof of concept on, i.e. SQL DB/AS are on the gateway box just to keep our test environment contained where this wouldn't be the case in production.

Thanks

John

Faced the same issue . The Account used on the Gateway connection was the Administrator on the AS instance , still wasnt able to connect . On evaluating this further We realised that the Analysis service was hosted on a account which was a local server account and the account  was not a part of administrators group on the server . On changing the AS service account  to the domain account same as the one used on the Enterprise Gateway the issue was resolved . 

Hope this helps someone . 

Thanks ,

Mitsu

Thanks for this insight mitsu.  You helped me figure out my issue.

I experienced both issues found in the forum. 

• I was not able to add a SSAS datasource to my gateway getting error: The following system error occurred: A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated.

To resolve this issue I simply un-installed and re-installed the Gateway on the machine with my domain joined user account.  I believe I may have installed the gateway initially as the local machine administrator (not domain joined).  

• Once that was fixed I went to "Get Data" and got the same error.  "The following system error occurred: A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated."

To resolve this issue I found that the SSAS service was running using a local machine account.  I changed it to a domain joined service account (the same account I use to add the datasource) and restarted it and now it works fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's right, @GuyInACube, I'm sorry I didn't find the article where you've mentionned it, sorry 🙂

Sebastien

Schacko

We are also facing the same issue, while setting up PBI enterprise gateway on an Azure VM and connecting to Azure SQL DB.

Both the VM and the SQL DB instances are in the same region, Central-India.

Error message is given below:

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to tcp:XXXX.database.windows.net,1433. Details: "We reached the enterprise gateway, but the gateway can't access the on-premises data source."Hide details
Activity ID:	0137b37e-2459-0fdb-7f77-e1feea87049b
Request ID:	48365919-7e9d-af71-4633-8315b7a91edb
Cluster URI:	https://wabi-south-east-asia-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Status code:	400
Error Code:	DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_DataSourceAccessError
Time:	Wed Feb 24 2016 06:10:43 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
Version:	13.0.800.495
Underlying error message:	A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - No such host is known.)
Underlying error code:	11001
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult:	-2146232060
chrisbaudo

Anyone have an idea on this error message?  I can set up a connection to another SSAS server and database, but not this particular one.

Thanks,

-Chris

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors