Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RBunting
Advocate II
Advocate II

Enterprise Gateway and Python/R scripting. Why is it hard to do?

Why can't enterprise gateway run R or Python scripts in the same way that Personal gateway can?

Just looking for a more concrete explanation than "I read that you can't do it" that I can share with my coworkers.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jialluo-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RBunting ,

I checked the official documentation, which states that only personal gateways support R scripts, but doesn't explain why it goes any further

There is really very little documentation on this issue, I did a related search, here is a similar post where you can do some reference:

powerbi - Is there a way to run an R script in Power BI Server when using an Enterprise Gateway? - S...

Best Regards,

Gallen Luo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jialluo-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RBunting ,

I checked the official documentation, which states that only personal gateways support R scripts, but doesn't explain why it goes any further

There is really very little documentation on this issue, I did a related search, here is a similar post where you can do some reference:

powerbi - Is there a way to run an R script in Power BI Server when using an Enterprise Gateway? - S...

Best Regards,

Gallen Luo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your feedback.

Indeed, I am familiar with that stack overflow post!  Hard not to notice that it has accumulated over 3k views in 3 years -- in my experience, that's a well-traversed question in SO's 'PowerBI' tags.  It's apparent to me that a lot of people are confused / frustrated by this limitation.  I don't think Microsoft has done a good job making it clear, and folks are only discovering AFTER they've published that there is a ground-floor problem in their methodology that needs to be solved.  It's not great.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

I dont think i have seen a specific reason mentioned anywhere, it might be because power query is the native scripting language of power bi from an enterprise perspective.  

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors