Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Enterprise Gateway Data Refresh Performance with SSD

Hi,

I wanna ask some question regarding Enterprise Gateway data refresh performance. 

Does it help if I install the Enterprise Gateway at an SSD drive instead of spinning drive? Just wondering...

Hope some expert could shed some light.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JosefPrakljacic
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

in short it does help.

Longer version of my answer 🙂

1. The cloud service creates a query and the encrypted credentials for the on-premises data source. The query and credentials are sent to the gateway queue for processing.
  2. The gateway cloud service analyzes the query and pushes the request to Azure Service Bus.
  3. Azure Service Bus sends the pending requests to the gateway.
  4. The gateway gets the query, decrypts the credentials, and connects to one or more data sources with those credentials.
  5. The gateway sends the query to the data source to be run.
  6. The results are sent from the data source back to the gateway and then to the cloud service. The service then uses the results.

In step 6, queries like Power BI refreshes and Azure Analysis Services refreshes can return large amounts of data. For such queries, data is temporarily stored on the gateway machine. This data storage continues until all data is received from the data source. The data is then sent back to the cloud service. This process is called spooling. We recommend you use a solid-state drive (SSD) as the spooling storage.

Source

If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and give it some kudos?

Have a nice day!

BR,
Josef

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JosefPrakljacic
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

in short it does help.

Longer version of my answer 🙂

1. The cloud service creates a query and the encrypted credentials for the on-premises data source. The query and credentials are sent to the gateway queue for processing.
  2. The gateway cloud service analyzes the query and pushes the request to Azure Service Bus.
  3. Azure Service Bus sends the pending requests to the gateway.
  4. The gateway gets the query, decrypts the credentials, and connects to one or more data sources with those credentials.
  5. The gateway sends the query to the data source to be run.
  6. The results are sent from the data source back to the gateway and then to the cloud service. The service then uses the results.

In step 6, queries like Power BI refreshes and Azure Analysis Services refreshes can return large amounts of data. For such queries, data is temporarily stored on the gateway machine. This data storage continues until all data is received from the data source. The data is then sent back to the cloud service. This process is called spooling. We recommend you use a solid-state drive (SSD) as the spooling storage.

Source

If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and give it some kudos?

Have a nice day!

BR,
Josef

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JosefPrakljacic 

Thank you so much for this!

Just one more thing. My main system disk is spinning drive which is where my current Enterprise Gateway installed. Recently Infra has added 2 new SSD drive to my server. So if i just uninstall my current Enterprise Gateway and reinstall at this new SSD drive, I would see performance improvement right?

Again thanks for replying.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any improvement? we are facing some performance issues now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

It does has some improvement on our server disk and CPU utilization.

Refer to this thread on how to change the location of the default spooler folder path:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Change-Enterprise-Gateway-Spooler-folder-location-to-different/m-p/1157317#M99253

Remember to restart your On-Prem Data Gateway service after changing the folder path in order for it to take effect.

Regards,

Max

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any improvement?

Hey @Anonymous,

I would say yes. But I'm not quite sure since I can't find any resource confirming this info.

BR,

Josef 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors